Good, Bad or Ugly

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
How are these results? I have been at this four years. I should learn more about performance. I am not a market watcher. I am not a performance guru. In fact, I am JUST a CLOWN. At one time, I wanted to be a LION TAMER. But now, I just want to be a CLOWN. Clowns have low expectations. They can't fall far because they are already CLOWNS. When they do fall; they just jump right back up and everyone thinks it was a stunt so they get a laugh. :D

CALF #50 Mongrel calf out of mixed cow and Reg Angus Bull
Born March 1, 2014
Weaned: Sept 1 at 184 days old
Fed on pasture and low grade mixed feed (pellets) during weaning period
Sell Date: Sept 22 @ 206 days old
Weight 660 pounds

CALF #49 Simangus Cow Good Pedigree and Reg Angus Bull
Born March 16, 2014
Weaned: Sept 1, 2014 at 168 days old
Fed on pasture and low grade mixed feed (pellets) during weaning period
Sell Date: Sept 22 @ 190 days old
Weight 590 pounds

Now, this brings me to Linus. My bull calf
Linus: Dam PB Simmental. Sire Top Hand, a Select Sire Angus Bull
Born March 20, 2014
Began weaning yesterday at 187 days old
Weight: Estimated by side by side comparison with the two calves about
Estimated weight: 825 pounds at 187 days of age
Pictures taken yesterday

9qldeb.jpg

2vl2ty9.jpg

TennesseeTuxedo":yccdx0px said:
Linus doesn't appear that heavy in the pic. Must be a big boned young un.

TT: # 50 went across the scales at 660. I have seen #50 and Linus side by side hours before Mike hauled #50 off. I will eat my socks without salt and pepper if Linus is not 25 % heavier than # 50. Here is the math: 660 x 1.25 = 825. That is how I arrived at that estimate. Linus is much thicker top to bottom and side to side than #50.

It would surprise me if he's much over 800, especially at 187 days old... I'm not going to say it's unheard of, but it is rare.I'm really happy if I get over 700 at 205 days.

Nesikep":tl41i38z said:
It would surprise me if he's much over 800, especially at 187 days old... I'm not going to say it's unheard of, but it is rare.I'm really happy if I get over 700 at 205 days.

I am smiling. I just exchanged a dozen text messages with Fire Sweep Ranch telling me that calf is not 800 pounds. I told her, "Ok, hurt my feelings if that is what you must do."

She goes on and on. All the time, I am thinking how sweet she is to be that concerned. I finally say, I don't know what he weighs but it has to be more that 660 because he is a much bigger calf.

It really is not going to change anyway no matter what any of us think. #50 is tall and lanky. Linus is thick and deep. He is a chucky monkey.

TennesseeTuxedo":ot2j8u54 said:
Can we get him weighed?

I don't have a scales. The weights for Calves ear marked #50 and # 49 were based on the weight they sold at Monday. These three calves are all March calves. I was basing the weight of Linus on an eyeball comparison. Calf ear tag #50 has more leg but is not as deep bodied or as wide as Linus. The obsevation I have made in the short time I have been doing this is as follows:

More weight is in the circumference of the body than in the height.

At some point, TT, I need to get a scales!!!!

I could haul him to a scales. Being ultra conservative based on the comments I got from Kris, I would put him in the range of 740 to 780 at 187 days. Still not bad.

BTW: This is a guess. I have been wrong a few times but that comes with being a CLOWN. :D

Pictures from 50 days ago. Linus's Dam did well raising Linus. She is a PB Simmental whose got Flying B Cut Above in her pedigree.

Here he is with mom. She is a small cow and he was her first calf. She is bred AI to Top Hand again and due 4/19/15. I slipped her a little because the first AI attempt failed.
2dc5t0z.jpg

Again this is 50 days ago. Here is the ear tag #50 calf with its Dam. She is a mixed skunk tail cow. I am very pleased with her. She never has an issue. Goes about her life without any interference. I do not AI her because she is non-pedigree. She is bred to my Simangus bull Spartacus and due to calve 3/24/15 based on seeing Spart breed her in the pasture and not seeing her come back into estrus:
2chxlt.jpg

I gave Linus fall shots. I bought a weight tape so decided to use it. He was 63 1/2 in heart girth. Depending on whether he is Thin, Moderate, fleshy or very fleshy his weight reading ranges from 791 to 678. He is at 193 days old today.

Sounds pretty close, with the formula I use I come up with 760 lbs for 63.5" heart girth... certainly a nice weight... I should go measure my bull and Lazyboy.. he's got about a 80 inch belly girth I know for sure.. but probably about 58-60" chest.

M.Magis":2nhqjecs said:
Do you have a scrap yard or gravel pit nearby? Around here they'll give you a weigh slip for a few bucks.

Yes. I don't have a trailer. I have managed to get to 64 years old and have rarely towed anything. The guy who hauls for me charges so small a fee, I cannot justify buying one. When I took possession of the heifer I bought from Fire Sweep Ranch in Missouri, I barrowed my neighbor's trailer. I worried whether I could back it up against the back of the transport hauler. I ask the driver to do it. He declined. It was not difficult. While he was talking a guy there to receive a heifer from Oklahoma, I got my trailer flush with his and Margo walked right in.

I need to get a scales for my facility.

I'd really like a set of scales too, even if they aren't legal for trade.

My bull just measured at 58"@174 days (works out to about 600 lb), so he's a little behind yours, Lazyboy was the same but has been weaned for 4 weeks already.

My heifer Tifa is 54", or about 500 lb @ 190 days, and Springy is 56", or about 540 lb at 207 days (weaned at about 185 days). The 3rd heifer isn't tame enough to put a tape around, I figure about 500-525 lb for her.

They all look heavier than that to me, especially the bull looks about 50 lbs heavier than the tape puts him at