goober peas

Help Support CattleToday:

grannysoo":em1iipg5 said:
It don't get any better than boiled peanuts. Good article!

Anything that takes 4 hours to cook requires a lot of beer on hand when you light the fire. :lol:

TexasBred":1w1gae1p said:
grannysoo":1w1gae1p said:

Anything that takes 4 hours to cook requires a lot of beer on hand when you light the fire. :lol:

ANYTHING that needs to be cooked period needs beer on hand before you get started. :mrgreen:

grannysoo":2zvg4ful said:
TexasBred":2zvg4ful said:
grannysoo":2zvg4ful said:

ANYTHING that needs to be cooked period needs beer on hand before you get started. :mrgreen:

Well hel you know that's what I really meant.. :lol2: :lol2:

Speaking of boiled peanuts I tried something new this year that seems to have worked out really well. This year I canned a bunch. Just put them in the cans with water and salt and then processed them. Now I have pretty tasty boiled peanuts anytime I want them. I think next time I'm going to try a little cajun seasoning in them and maybe a jalepeno pepper or three.

I guess someone's gonna have to introduce me to this delicacy. I've never had them before and I grew up back when Hood County was peanut country. My uncle was a peanut farmer. Dad worked nights at the peanut dryer. I thought I'd consumed peanuts every way, but I have never had them boiled.

I think we had this discussion bofore. :D

I love boiled peanuts. Going to have to try the canning tip.

Lammie":2xvx8xri said:
I guess someone's gonna have to introduce me to this delicacy. I've never had them before and I grew up back when Hood County was peanut country. My uncle was a peanut farmer. Dad worked nights at the peanut dryer. I thought I'd consumed peanuts every way, but I have never had them boiled.

I think we had this discussion bofore. :D
You are right we have had this discussion before, and I had never even heard of boiled peanuts till then. and have not tried them either. not sure I want to.
side_mrnutty.gif

Jogeephus":34iqjbmz said:
Speaking of boiled peanuts I tried something new this year that seems to have worked out really well. This year I canned a bunch. Just put them in the cans with water and salt and then processed them. Now I have pretty tasty boiled peanuts anytime I want them. I think next time I'm going to try a little cajun seasoning in them and maybe a jalepeno pepper or three.

Did you boil them good until they were ready before you canned them?

grannysoo":2lh64fl1 said:
Jogeephus":2lh64fl1 said:

Did you boil them good until they were ready before you canned them?

No. Put peanuts in there raw with water and salt. Then put them in a pressure canner and let them cook inside the can. Here is the finished product. Not as good as fresh boiled but pretty close.

IMG_4021.jpg

Jogeephus":l4z9rjv5 said:
No. Put peanuts in there raw with water and salt. Then put them in a pressure canner and let them cook inside the can. Here is the finished product. Not as good as fresh boiled but pretty close.

How long did you process them?

Do you think soaking them over night before canning would help out?

I used a bottle of tobacco sauce in a regular batch one time and thought they turned out well.

What equipment do you use for the cans? We have only used jars.

Wewild":rqhvpc60 said:
Jogeephus":rqhvpc60 said:

How long did you process them?

Do you think soaking them over night before canning would help out?

I used a bottle of tobacco sauce in a regular batch one time and thought they turned out well.

What equipment do you use for the cans? We have only used jars.

These were made in our school's canning plant. Its a wonderful resource my wife and I have just recently discovered and began using. Using the canning machine the tins are sealed and placed in a huge basket and then are winched into large pressure cookers. In the pressure cooker they cook at 12 atmospheres(?) 12 psi (I think this is what it means) and they stay under pressure for 25 minutes or so and the contents reach a certain temp.(don't remember temp but seems it was 210 or something like that) At this temp the contents are sterile and cooked.

I can get the exact details if you wish. My memory on details isn't that great.

I also talked to one person about canning venison. Only one teacher knows how to do this but it sounds rather useful.

Jogeephus":m5eprgyy said:

I also talked to one person about canning venison. Only one teacher knows how to do this but it sounds rather useful.

Details Jo, Details! I'm liking the ideal if boiled peanuts over the winter. It's almost time for the fresh green ones to be gone for the year, so you got me thinking about canning (in jars) some of them for the winter. Thinking about processing them to get them ready, and then canning like other fruits/vegs. Should work out ok?

Almost fresh boiled peanuts in the winter would be great!

I love them raw and I love them parched on the wood stove, I would not give a dime for a ton of them cold slimy boil peanuts...I can eat them when they are still hot...

grannysoo":gmteaylt said:
Jogeephus":gmteaylt said:

Details Jo, Details! I'm liking the ideal if boiled peanuts over the winter. It's almost time for the fresh green ones to be gone for the year, so you got me thinking about canning (in jars) some of them for the winter. Thinking about processing them to get them ready, and then canning like other fruits/vegs. Should work out ok?

Almost fresh boiled peanuts in the winter would be great!

Here is the exact details verbatum from the goober guru himself.

For can canning

Steam Blanch peanuts for 3 minutes.

Put in quart quart cans.

Add 1 tbs of salt to each can.

Pour boiling water over peanuts in can and leave 1/2 inch of headroom.

Seal.

Process cans in pressure cooker at 10 lbs of pressure for 45 minutes. Reaches a temp of 240 degrees.

For Jars

Boil blanch peanuts in fresh water for 10 minutes.
Fill jars with peanuts.
Add 1 tbs of salt to jar
Pour boiling water over the peanuts leaving 1/2 inch of headroom
Process jars in pressure cooker at 10 lbs of pressure for 45 minutes.

Don't know why there is a difference in jars and cans but this is the exact recipe he gave me.

I put a bag of fresh green peanuts in the freezer the day they were picked with the plan to take them out of the freezer, wash, and boil them later and see how that worked. Anybody done it?

farmwriter":5w8pv3ki said:
I put a bag of fresh green peanuts in the freezer the day they were picked with the plan to take them out of the freezer, wash, and boil them later and see how that worked. Anybody done it?

I don't know the specifics but I know of a man who does this on a commercial scale selling boiled peanuts when they are out of season. I've tasted them and they taste fresh to me. Don't know if he has a secret or not but I do know they come out of a freezer.

Latest posts