Gonna add some "ear".

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Have been thinking about going that route just hadn't been sure what breeding. We have a few % Brahman cows that really seem to do well with their calves here. Looked at some Beefmaster's and liked what we saw. We were able to walk right up to them in an open field and walk all around them without them showing any concern at all. Probably will get docked on the calves some but am hoping that the retained heifers will make some good hardy calf raising cows that will make up for it.

I'll be anxious to hear how they do. I love beefmaster but was always afraid I would take a beating on them when I sold.

Even thought about raising purebreds but I'm not sure I could get rid of the bulls or heifers.

Put a good Angus bull over some Beefmaster cows and the steers will sell great. Beefmaster's are the best cows that we own for our conditions and management style. The heifers don't sell really well people are scared of them. And all will eat out of our hands, just not there's.

True Grit Farms":19qpu7j2 said:
Put a good Angus bull over some Beefmaster cows and the steers will sell great. Beefmaster's are the best cows that we own for our conditions and management style. The heifers don't sell really well people are scared of them. And all will eat out of our hands, just not there's.
Got a few BMxAngus cows,,see if I can get a pic of a couple of them this weekend...

ALACOWMAN":3u9iw5ux said:
Don't know about how your market is,,but they make some great momas..and we'll do well,as far as your climate..your winters a wet-cold??

Yep cold and wet pretty well sums up our winters. We usually have a few frozen spells but most of the time it's mud.

Like hear in TN with the humidity and heat you get, I believe a little ear helps on momma cows. 1/8 ear won't hurt the steers much. The added weight will make up for what little dock you get.

Ky hills":1f0hpyk9 said:
Have been thinking about going that route just hadn't been sure what breeding. We have a few % Brahman cows that really seem to do well with their calves here. Looked at some Beefmaster's and liked what we saw. We were able to walk right up to them in an open field and walk all around them without them showing any concern at all. Probably will get docked on the calves some but am hoping that the retained heifers will make some good hardy calf raising cows that will make up for it.

They're not for everybody, but based on what you're looking for, I think you'd be very happy with the heifers you retained. Some of the best cows I've had have been 1/2 - 1/4 Brahman. If you went with Beefmaster cows bred to a bull without ear, you'd be at 1/4 Brahman in the calves. If you kept the heifers, their resulting calves
would show very little ear or extra leather. With each cross, you lose some heterosis, but still maintain some of the benefits of the Brahman influence.

At Western KY select heifer sales, at Guthrie, over the past few years, best looking thy things I've seen were groups of BMxAN heifers...almost made me wanna buy some BM semen...

Ah the sanga vs Brahman thing.....while sanga type cattle do have heat tolerance without any Brahman genetics..... Brahman genetics adds more hybrid vigor, longevity and weaning bigger calves.

Lucky_P":3p969g9s said:
At Western KY select heifer sales, at Guthrie, over the past few years, best looking thy things I've seen were groups of BMxAN heifers...almost made me wanna buy some BM semen...
When is their sales?

Brute 23":331gcf0f said:
Some good BM mommas are hard to beat. They have really started cleaning up a lot of the skin. You can get some pretty smooth BM cattle now.
These smooth Beefmasters has gotten some attention from the northern folks lately. Even Angus x Beefmaster steers do great at the sales.

Muddy":ws4syp1d said:
Ah the sanga vs Brahman thing.....while sanga type cattle do have heat tolerance without any Brahman genetics..... Brahman genetics adds more hybrid vigor, longevity and weaning bigger calves.
The degree of heterosis is similar in pure Sanga crosses as in pure Indicus crosses, longevity is similar, I had 20 year + cows in my stud Tuli herd in Rhodesia, as was the case in the Namibian and Transvaal (South Africa) herds belonging to my in laws. Sanga breeds and composites are also inherently more fertile, and docile. Brahman will give larger weaners than pure Sanga breeds, but not heavier than Bonsmara, and Brahman are more tolerant of some fly species.

I know a guy that runs some heck of a nice F1 brafords right next to some bonsmara cattle down here. I would say both are definitely top of their breed. You can't hardly tell the difference. The hold up the same, handle the same, he runs black angus bulls over them and sells the whole group of calves together. I cant hardly tell the difference of one calf vs the other.

He says the bonsmara handle more like the continental breeds people are use to. He gets $2000 per weaned F1 heifer and only slightly above slaughter for the bonsmara though.

Brute 23 said:
I know a guy that runs some heck of a nice F1 brafords right next to some bonsmara cattle down here. I would say both are definitely top of their breed. You can't hardly tell the difference. The hold up the same, handle the same, he runs black angus bulls over them and sells the whole group of calves together. I cant hardly tell the difference of one calf vs the other.

He says the bonsmara handle more like the continental breeds people are use to.............Probably simular to the beefmaster temperament..

ALACOWMAN":1e9ujt4y said:
Brute 23":1e9ujt4y said:

He says the bonsmara handle more like the continental breeds people are use to.............Probably simular to the beefmaster temperament..

Pretty much. 3/4 brahman handle different than pure bloods. Pure bloods are a one of a kind experience in some cases.

Well we made a deal on a Beefmaster bull. I don't know anything about Beefmaster pedigrees but the bull is a grandson of L Bar 5502, from a 30 year Beefmaster breeder.

Latest posts