Going to the salebarn...

Help Support CattleToday:

fourstates

Reaction score
I am trying to be a Beefmaster seedstock producer, but find few if any bull calves make the cut...(or uncut.) Here are some guys leaving this spring. I am interested in your thoughts.
107.jpg
I had high hopes for this calf, but he is just too fine boned. Clean underline, but I hate the horns. Reminds me of a longhorn calf.

207.jpg

Good depth, I like his tigerstripe color, but he's scrawny legged.

307.jpg

I am partial to this calf, good bone, red color, polled, but has a "polled" butt.
507.jpg

This one is a cull, solely on the angle of his sheath, points straight down.

Have to agree with Santas and Durham Reds, especially on the tigerstripes, the third one that is polled is kinda nice, but nothing really grabs my attention. Raising bulls costs too much and they either get hurt or the best one shoots blanks or his testes never drop, it costs less to buy one than raise them. There are some good Beefmasters in your area (SW Arkansas). The black one would be perfect if he were red.

im going to give you some advice.an you may get madd at me for telling you but cull them all.they just dont have the stamp of a herd bull.right now beefmaster breeders frown on tigerstriped bulls as well as paints.talked to a friend an he said top end paint bulls bring $250 less than compareable red bulls.like you im working an breeding towards being a seedstock beefmaster producer.an i cull my bull calves very hard.if they have falts i cant live with or want to pass on to other breeders they are culled.not all bull calves will make herd bulls.you may go 3 or 4yrs before you get that herd bull calf to raise from your cows.an if it takes that long dont be upset.because you want to raise the very top end of your bulls.another thing you have to buy cows an bloodlines that fitt what type of seedstock producer you want tobeive got a black bull calf thats a month old.he is out of black granite.an so far he looks like a herd bull.i like his sheath length an depth.but things may change as he grows.an he may not make a herd bull.if he dont then so be it.he will be culled.take the money you get from selling those bull calves an buy some more cows.

ive looked at them all and trying to find one i would even consider. they aint consistant. they look like crossbred calves and even though they are pb will more than likely take a hit at the barn,, CHANGE BULL'S or is that black one a potentail sire? if you decide to cut em be sure to give tetanus shot at their age if you hire a vet you gonna have a bill to go along with the price deduct but its better than losing one

Avalon":20vm8mnn said:
if you are allreday using good, sound AI sires. I would look at replacing the cows.

Good point. What do the cows look like?

No bull prospects in that group. Among other things, they could stand more thickness and muscling. Good bull sale coming this Spring...you might want to visit. It's no terrible loss...you didn't hit a homerun with any of your bull calves, but you have calves to take to the sale barn...the cows should have still paid for themselves.

EC

PRETTY ROUGH LOOKIN BUNCH -- LOOKS LIKE A BREDDING PROGRAM IS IN YOUR FUTURE ALONG WITH A HEALTH PROGRAM AND A FEEDING PROGRAM.. CULL THEM ALL

NO OFFENSE BUT YA CANT GO WRONG WITH ANGUS-----

simangus23":5pwa3o22 said:
PRETTY ROUGH LOOKIN BUNCH -- LOOKS LIKE A BREDDING PROGRAM IS IN YOUR FUTURE ALONG WITH A HEALTH PROGRAM AND A FEEDING PROGRAM.. CULL THEM ALL

NO OFFENSE BUT YA CANT GO WRONG WITH ANGUS-----

NO OFFENSE BUT IT CAN HARD TO GO RIGHT WITH ANGUS SOMETIMES.
And i love a good angus cow just 9 out of 10 I see arn't to good imo or maybe just to good at everything

All the bull calves shown are just so-so feeder calves. You are dealing with a maternal breed, so finding those real good bulls consistently is not going to happen. Most Beefmaster, Santa Gertrudis, Brangus, Red Brangus breeders need to cull 75% to 80% of their bull calves. The American breeds offer a good, environmentally adapted cow for the southern US.

I'd send them all to the salebarn. Save the money you get from the sale to buy better cows and bull. Seedstock takes the best of the best to be good jsut becuase they are registered doesn' mean they shouold produce seedstock. Just my thought though.

Hey fourstates... you know what you have to do with those, it's said in the thread title "salebarn"

We are also on the seedstock producer route, and have a few animals going to the registered sale in Fallon, NV at the end of March.

We try a pairing of bull and dam and see the results, if you don't like the result, try a different bull with that dam... etc. Once you find the combination that works (different for each dam/bull) then you record it...

That being said, we select our "bulls" at weaning, then have another round of cuts (literally) at yearling, and then evaluate again... we end up steering 90% of our bull calves. I'll have to break out the camera for this years bull calf selections (we're mainly fall calvers)

Just Fyi, these bums brought $1.05 avg, this last weekend in Texarkana. I was happy with my check. (No feed, uncut)

fourstates - You didn't do bad at all. For some reason, a few people here expect top notch quality only and act above smaller crossbreed operations. I think you got a fair price from what I saw in the pics. :tiphat: