Going to the auction

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid":2h7g8hg3 said:
TB -- I understood what BB was getting at; my issue wasn't so much with the fact that a good dairy cow does produce more than 4 calves need, but rather with the statement that putting calves on a good dairy cow will ruin her. That last statement I definitely disagree with.

I treat my nurse cows a little different than some people do... my cows will take 2-4 calves and raise them anywhere from 2 to 8 months. Calves stay on pasture with the nurse cow 24/7 and I generally let them have every bit of milk the cow produces. The only exception is if I want a bit of milk myself as well.

That's the way I did it as well. Often had 15 to 20 cows, each with 4 calves. The calves actually sucked everything and the cattle didn't seem to mind either. Never any scours and few other problems. I weaned much earlier but it worked great. Much better than milk replacer and scour meds. ;-)

15 to 20 cows with 4 calves each... that had to be a sight! :lol: :p

I've often found that when I run multiple nurse cows in one pasture, that the calves tend to do a lot of switching and nurse off whoever whenever they want. Have you noticed that too?

milkmaid":2fkt4tiy said:
15 to 20 cows with 4 calves each... that had to be a sight! :lol: :p

I've often found that when I run multiple nurse cows in one pasture, that the calves tend to do a lot of switching and nurse off whoever whenever they want. Have you noticed that too?

Yes, absolutely...nobody goes hungry.

Latest posts