Going to lock horns with GM over Silverado ign switch.

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I bought it new, in Feb 2008, a Chevy Silverado. My first (and last) Chevy truck.
History:
8 months after purchase, I left town to start for home. Engine turned over slow, but started. Shut it down here, and when I got ready to leave--nothing when I turned the key. Looked, and the positive battery post had simply fallen or burned off the battery--less than 10,000 miles. Battery replaced under warranty.

About 1 year later at 20,000 miles IIRC, that battery died. Again replaced under warranty.

At 48,000 miles, the ignition key began to give me trouble. Had to jiggle the key a lot to get it to turn the ignition lock. Worked fine in the doors. Wife's key did the same thing. Finally one day, at 48,048 miles, in Oct 2011, it left me in town. Wife brought her key, and finally got it to crank. Took it to the dealership (out of warranty) and they changed the ign lock, 2 keys and programmed both keys. Cost me $311.67.

Last year, the 3rd battery quit on me--replaced it myself out of pocket. It would charge, but wouldn't hold it overnight.

Fast forward to 2014. Truck has 78,095 miles on it today. About 3 months ago, driving down the road, the entire dash began to "die". No tachometer function, no speedometer, no turn signal indicators, nor outside turn signals, gauges all read zero and stereo display is dead. I assume airbags are also inoperative. I would have to pull over, put the truck in park, cycle the key off and restart and everything returned to normal.
2 weeks ago, driving down the farm-to-market road leading to my place, the engine died and dash died. I quickly put it in park and restarted it and everything worked correctly again. Last week, it did it again in my pasture--everything just died.

I took it by the same dealership I bought it from this week, and the service writer immediately told me my key fob was probably too heavy. Like most of us, I don't like a lot of crap in my pocket. On a simple 1" split ring:
1 truck key
1 house key
2 little brass master lock shop keys.
1 gas cap key.
2 gate keys.
Weighs about the same as 2 disposable Bic lighters.

I have an appointment set to take the truck in next week but I do not trust the dealership or GM to look at this from a larger perspective--that is, "Does the ign switch problem include Silverado/1500 vehicles?" I'd hate to see someone die on the highway and I didn't voice my concerns.

I this morning, emailed all this information to my congressman Kevin Brady, and to NHTSA using their "contact us" button one the websites. My congressman is not on the energy and commerce comittee, but I asked him to forward the info to both committee members Rep Pete Olson (Tx) and Joe Barton (TX) - Chairman Emeritus of that committee. (I can't email them directly as house protocol won't allow it since I am not in their districts) I don't mind paying for the repair if it's normal wear and tear, but 2 ign locks in 78,000 miles? And ignition problem that has every symptom of the current recalls? (Silverado.1500 are not on the recall list--yet) If I have to have the dealership replace bothe the lock, 2 keys, and the switch, it's going to run nearly $800--maybe more.

Either way, this is my last GM vehicle ever. I have owned vehicles since 1967 and in all that time, have changed only one ignition switch and that was on a 1984 Pontiac with 150,000 miles on it. Sold a Jeep Cherokee with 1/4 million miles on it and both the lock and OEM ignition switch worked perfectly when the new owner drove it off. If I had known GM was going to file bankruptcy and have a bailout and screw it's shareholders and debt holders in 2009, I would never given them my $$$ for this vehicle. Lesson learned.

I have a 2008 Silverado 2500 with 93000 miles. I've kept a chunk of keys hanging from day one and have had no problems. Go figure.

The service writer BTW, told me that and never even saw my keys.

CYA/parroting the Company Line I suspect.

07 silverado 3500, my keys weigh a heck of a lot more than yours, never a problem. The thing that has me fuming is the mechanism that lowers the spare tire. It's has a reputation for stripping out and not allowing the tire to be cranked down. Mine lived up to the reputation.

Other than that it's been a good work horse, regular maintainence repairs that come with 165k.

If I had a GM vehicle, I would trade it in ASAP, regardless if it has issues or not. A company that can't even manufacture a simple switch on a vehicle obviously doesn't care about the safety of its customers. GM should take out the check book and start buying back any of these vehicles on the request of the customer. But they won't, because again, they don't care. I hope they go bankrupt again for good.

Aaron":z1wcprnp said:
If I had a GM vehicle, I would trade it in ASAP, regardless if it has issues or not. A company that can't even manufacture a simple switch on a vehicle obviously doesn't care about the safety of its customers. GM should take out the check book and start buying back any of these vehicles on the request of the customer. But they won't, because again, they don't care. I hope they go bankrupt again for good.
+1

Funny you should mention Jeep Cherokee.. my buddy has had a lot of problems on his 2000ish jeep cherokee with the ignition switch.

I have a 94 dodge ram 3500, LOTS of keys on the ring, and it works fine... I drive rough roads and it has 370,000 kms, or about 200,000 miles

Got some front end work coming up on me now though

greybeard":njf7z3uy said:
I bought it new, in Feb 2008, a Chevy Silverado. My first (and last) Chevy truck.
History:
8 months after purchase, I left town to start for home. Engine turned over slow, but started. Shut it down here, and when I got ready to leave--nothing when I turned the key. Looked, and the positive battery post had simply fallen or burned off the battery--less than 10,000 miles. Battery replaced under warranty.

About 1 year later at 20,000 miles IIRC, that battery died. Again replaced under warranty.

At 48,000 miles, the ignition key began to give me trouble. Had to jiggle the key a lot to get it to turn the ignition lock. Worked fine in the doors. Wife's key did the same thing. Finally one day, at 48,048 miles, in Oct 2011, it left me in town. Wife brought her key, and finally got it to crank. Took it to the dealership (out of warranty) and they changed the ign lock, 2 keys and programmed both keys. Cost me $311.67.

Last year, the 3rd battery quit on me--replaced it myself out of pocket. It would charge, but wouldn't hold it overnight.

Fast forward to 2014. Truck has 78,095 miles on it today. About 3 months ago, driving down the road, the entire dash began to "die". No tachometer function, no speedometer, no turn signal indicators, nor outside turn signals, gauges all read zero and stereo display is dead. I assume airbags are also inoperative. I would have to pull over, put the truck in park, cycle the key off and restart and everything returned to normal.
2 weeks ago, driving down the farm-to-market road leading to my place, the engine died and dash died. I quickly put it in park and restarted it and everything worked correctly again. Last week, it did it again in my pasture--everything just died.

I took it by the same dealership I bought it from this week, and the service writer immediately told me my key fob was probably too heavy. Like most of us, I don't like a lot of crap in my pocket. On a simple 1" split ring:
1 truck key
1 house key
1 gas cap key.
2 gate keys.

I have an appointment set to take the truck in next week but I do not trust the dealership or GM to look at this from a larger perspective--that is, "Does the ign switch problem include Silverado/1500 vehicles?" I'd hate to see someone die on the highway and I didn't voice my concerns.

I this morning, emailed all this information to my congressman Kevin Brady, and to NHTSA using their "contact us" button one the websites. My congressman is not on the energy and commerce comittee, but I asked him to forward the info to both committee members Rep Pete Olson (Tx) and Joe Barton (TX) - Chairman Emeritus of that committee. (I can't email them directly as house protocol won't allow it since I am not in their districts) I don't mind paying for the repair if it's normal wear and tear, but 2 ign locks in 78,000 miles? And ignition problem that has every symptom of the current recalls? (Silverado.1500 are not on the recall list--yet) If I have to have the dealership replace bothe the lock, 2 keys, and the switch, it's going to run nearly $800--maybe more.

Either way, this is my last GM vehicle ever. I have owned vehicles since 1967 and in all that time, have changed only one ignition switch and that was on a 1984 Pontiac with 150,000 miles on it. Sold a Jeep Cherokee with 1/4 million miles on it and both the lock and OEM ignition switch worked perfectly when the new owner drove it off. If I had known GM was going to file bankruptcy and have a bailout and screw it's shareholders and debt holders in 2009, I would never given them my $$$ for this vehicle. Lesson learned.
law.
Read up on the lemon. My daughter had jeep buy back a wrangler and for an expedition. If they cannot fix it in three tgrys they have to buy the vehicles back plus any add ons that you have installed.

jltrent":23xoac4w said:
Aaron":23xoac4w said:
+1

Now you know Barry can't let that happen.

hurleyjd":1m3tqkmg said:
greybeard":1m3tqkmg said:
History:

1 truck key
1 house key
1 gas cap key.
2 gate keys.

law.
Read up on the lemon. My daughter had jeep buy back a wrangler and for an expedition. If they cannot fix it in three tgrys they have to buy the vehicles back plus any add ons that you have installed.

He is 4-5 years and 50-60k miles past any help from lemon laws.

Sometimes vehicles just have problems that are hard to chase down and you can find a similar story for any brand on the market.

+1 Robb,
as far as service writer being write about the Silverado being right about the ignition switch/or cylinder, well I doubt it.
Gm ignition switch problem yes, but believe me more to the story than gm denying or not careing.
Gm spare tire hoist problem total agreement, bad design all the way!
Gm going under, not likely and believe it or not if it did happen it would probably hurt everyone (huge employer)