Going to an AI class !

Help Support CattleToday:

Named'em Tamed'em

Reaction score
I'm going to AI class in Shawano, Wi. second week of July, and will be breeding two cows and a heifer when I return.

As the day approaches I'm checking the weather and such, either flooding or extreme heat :bang: .

I picked up a couple reproductive tracts from my neighbor for some hands on training, sure helped having one in person not just in a book.

Wish me Luck
Scott

Fun! You might already know this, but a cow in heat feels a lot different than one that isn't. And a heifer's tract is MUCH smaller than a cow's.

Good luck!

Ricebelt, yes they are all different.

My friend gives me a little tip on them before I get them, "this ones pregnant, here's a heifer, here's a barren cow should have calved already".

I wanted a little hands on before my class.

Named'em Tamed'em":swlcdu7s said:
Ricebelt, yes they are all different.

My friend gives me a little tip on them before I get them, "this ones pregnant, here's a heifer, here's a barren cow should have calved already".

I wanted a little hands on before my class.

This is great that your neighbor is so willing to help you out. This is a great opportunity! Good luck with the class, I'm sure you'll learn alot and enjoy it.

When you return, if you have any difficulty, perhaps your neighbor would still be willing to help you.

Katherine

Yes I'm lucky, neighbor is the local butcher (3rd generation).

We've been friends for over 45 years (cub scouts haha) he'll help what ever way he can.

Maybe he will want some of his better cows AI'd.

Scott

I have given some thought to going to an AI class but kinda pricey and closest one is 80 miles away but would be nice to know

Good luck. My first reaction immediately after the class was: Do I really want to do this? I said yes and I am glad I did. It is one of my favorite challenges. I don't know if it is an economic benefit but I like the opportunities it presents.

Waco,I'm flying from Seattle (GO SEAHAWKS) to Green Bay !!

It's only $350 out of pocket, free air miles, rental car and motel.

inyati ,Thanks.

Why not breed to some of the best you can.

We have a close relationship to our cows, MAYBE not as close as yours. :hide:

Nice that you can land in Green Bay and not Minneapolis - much shorter drive. Maybe you have time to stop at Lambeau Field and see where a real football team plays... :hide:

Hopefully they have some repro tracts from butchered animals to feel also. It makes a world of difference. It's awesome that your neighbor let you get a feel for things first. Have fun, take lots of notes, and ask lots of questions.

Something that cam in handy as a practice tool was a corn cob wiht a hole through it end to end and a sleeve rubber banded over it so only about an inch of cob was exposed when the sleeve was turned back over it. With your eyes closed, practice passing a sheath into the hole . By having the stick sticking inside like that it sort of replicates the blind pouch that so many people get hung up in when starting out.

Named'em Tamed'em":1kot0edf said:
Dun, I just lay the real thing out on the picnic tableand practice then toss it.

They should also have some in the class. Maybe several. It gives you an idea also of the relative differences in size. Those real reproductive tracts are the best instruction tool other than actual practice. Look closely at how the cervix is made and how you get hung up in the fornix (blind pouch). It will help you form a "mind's eye view" of what you are doing inside.