Going Rate for Cattle Boarding

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Will appreciate any input anyone can provide on what people are charging to board calves or adult cattle. They would be on pasture here, not dry lot conditions.

We have had inquiries about boarding costs; and, we can board and monitor a few. It is understood that any needed Vet charges would always be extra charge to the customer. We would provide grass, hay, minerals & salt, water, and frequent inspection of their animals to ensure they were ok; and, any "special feed needs" would be an add-on charge as needed. The customer would, of course, provide all health certificates, have cattle up-to-date on vaccinations, and de-wormed with injectible prior to unloading here.

Thanks everyone! :D

Why would you be boarding cattle for people? Do you mean like leasing pasture for a herd of cows? Or keeping them for a short period of time, say, for calving?

I can tell you that Texas A & M charges $4.50 a day for boarding at their vet facility... but we're talking short term.

TheBullLady":2w8z9u5r said:
Why would you be boarding cattle for people? Do you mean like leasing pasture for a herd of cows? Or keeping them for a short period of time, say, for calving?

I can tell you that Texas A & M charges $4.50 a day for boarding at their vet facility... but we're talking short term.

The boarding would be for possibly 1-4 months while the owner's get their stock facility ready for a few cattle (hobby farmer). They have located some specialty cattle at an out of state registered auction and need a "holding place" (e.g. ours) between there and their new place. Don't ask me why they want to get cart before the horse...buy who am I to argue... :| :cboy:

Your university extension service can give you information on what the rates are for various types of cattle.

dun

Running Arrow Bill":2ovb2zgc said:
TheBullLady":2ovb2zgc said:

The boarding would be for possibly 1-4 months while the owner's get their stock facility ready for a few cattle (hobby farmer). They have located some specialty cattle at an out of state registered auction and need a "holding place" (e.g. ours) between there and their new place. Don't ask me why they want to get cart before the horse...buy who am I to argue... :| :cboy:

I've seen boarding rates from $1.25 per day for just pasture grass to $5.00 per day for show feeding, etc. Can vary significantly. A lot depends upon how much the person really wants to accept boarded cattle.

I would like to start a business boarding show steers. This would be for 4H or FFA kids. We have kids in the area without the ability to house this type of animal. Would this idea work? Problems? profitable?

Have to figure needing to supply water and electricity so kids can rinse and blow out their cattle. Concrete wash rack so you don't have a mud hole. Kids without a place to keep show cattle are probably short on equipment like blowers as well.

In the 2020 Hoffman Female catalog, they listed full service boarding for $8.00 a head for calves and $12.00 a head for yearlings. One advantage that you will have is the ability to purchase feed in bulk. There is a lot of money going around in the show ring, so don't be afraid to charge what your worth.

In the 2020 Hoffman Female catalog, they listed full service boarding for $8.00 a head for calves and $12.00 a head for yearlings. One advantage that you will have is the ability to purchase feed in bulk. There is a lot of money going around in the show ring, so don't be afraid to charge what your worth.
Also have a female vet to handle health issues

Latest posts