Going rate for an AI Technician

Help Support CattleToday:

Roger/OH

Reaction score
I have sold two heifers to an AI technician. He is considering the third one. I am thinking of proposing that I take the price of the third one out in trade. What is the going rate to have a cow AIed? I don,t have a clue if we are talking $20 or $100 per cow. Thank you

Please disregard, I just went to the Breeds Board and saw a simalar posting.

Probably closer to $25 per female plus cost of semen and any boarding charges while at the A.I. facility. If you and/or the Tech are not accurate in determining when the cow ovulates (or the A.I. was botched), costs go up from there.

We do a lot of AI and always use the same tech. He comes precisely when we call and that can be twice per day. Cost here is $25 per call to do one cow each time. If people only do an occasional cow, I beleive the fee is $25 trip charge and $10 per cow. We supply the semen.

Billy

$8 for a single breeding, $5 per cow if there's more than one on a trip. I'm sure he also gets a commission on semen he sells, which is 90% of what we use, but he'll also store semen from other companies for free and charge the same rates.