Going on a Road Trip!

Help Support CattleToday:

redneckcowgirlmn

Reaction score
Hey, Y'all,
Mom called, she's going home to Texarkana for a couple weeks to button up some things from when Grandma passed back in Nov. and wants me to drive down for "Backup", (One of the Uncles is being a piss-ant) and I was just curious as to which ones of you have ranches along the way. I drove down by myself (at night, in the dark, alone!!!) when it happened, and the trip back up here was beautiful, through Arkansas, Missouri, and Iowa. Saw some really nice cattle, a few really pretty horse ranches, and some nice scenery.
Anyways, I'll be going down I-35, 435, US 71, (then it gets interesting... made the trip a few years ago, and ended up on some back road that goes between Ft Smith to Texarkana.. this last trip put me on I-80, to Little Rock, THEN down I-30 on to Texas.) Not sure which way I'm going this time, I'd LIKE to find that little back road and take my time. (unless y'all can think of a reason why a lone female with a 3 yr old should NOT take a backroad through Arkansas, LOL! The guys up here in MN have come up with SEVERAL, none are appropriate to repeat!)
Planning on taking the camers...does that violate any rules about posting pics of critters that are not yours, if they're from a road trip?
Thanks all!

I hope you weren't trying to find Arkansas while on I-80 ;-) It runs east west across Iowa,Nebraska, etc.

you could take Scenic Hwy 59 that runs down the Arkansas / Oklahoma lines
The definition of scenic in the ozarks is lots of beautiful scenery and lots of hairpin turns. :shock:

redneckcowgirlmn":iua6xch0 said:
Hey, Y'all,
Mom called, she's going home to Texarkana for a couple weeks to button up some things from when Grandma passed back in Nov. and wants me to drive down for "Backup", (One of the Uncles is being a be nice-ant) and I was just curious as to which ones of you have ranches along the way. I drove down by myself (at night, in the dark, alone!!!) when it happened, and the trip back up here was beautiful, through Arkansas, Missouri, and Iowa. Saw some really nice cattle, a few really pretty horse ranches, and some nice scenery.
Anyways, I'll be going down I-35, 435, US 71, (then it gets interesting... made the trip a few years ago, and ended up on some back road that goes between Ft Smith to Texarkana.. this last trip put me on I-80, to Little Rock, THEN down I-30 on to Texas.) Not sure which way I'm going this time, I'd LIKE to find that little back road and take my time. (unless y'all can think of a reason why a lone female with a 3 yr old should NOT take a backroad through Arkansas, LOL! The guys up here in MN have come up with SEVERAL, none are appropriate to repeat!)
Planning on taking the camers...does that violate any rules about posting pics of critters that are not yours, if they're from a road trip?
Thanks all!

That sounds like a fun trip! Do you have plenty of time to take in the sights?

LMAO!!! Yea, you gotta take a PART of I-80 to get back to 35 in Des Moines. (Mom lives off I-80 in Ca, I know that road well, LOL!)

Yep, I have all the time in the world, can leave here whenever... Mom's flying into Dallas/Ft Worth on the 28th, and so, since I'll be traveling with my little 3 yr old Monster-I-mean-Son, I'm SURE we'll have to stop a bunch of times, so taking in sights would be a great thing, any suggestions? It's about a 16 hour drive, stopping ONLY for gas, as I found out last trip.

59, I think that's the road I was looking for! Thanks! Is it out of Fort Smith somewhere?
Thanks!

redneckcowgirlmn":1krok1dg said:
59, I think that's the road I was looking for! Thanks! Is it out of Fort Smith somewhere?
Thanks!
59 runs from Iowa south thru at least Arkansas
it is one of the old main highways that ran north south

in fact around here there is a 59 that runs down the western edge of Arkansas and about 10 to 20 miles west there is another 59 that runs down the eastern edge of Oklahoma - haven't ever heard how that happened but around here you never hear 59 without the clarification of Arkansas 59 or Oklahoma 59

yep.. we sure dont want to get anything mixed up between Arkansass and Oklahoma.. :lol:

U.S 59 runs all the way down south to and past Houston.

Another pretty drive if you've got the time is Hwy. 7, you can pick it up off I-30 at Arkadelphia ( about 60 miles from Texarkana ) and go North all the way through central Arkansas to the Missouri border and pick up U.S.65. Or you could jump off Hwy 7 at Russelville and pick up I-40. I prefer the 1st option as you get to go up through Jasper & the Buffalo River area ( very pretty ) and the "Dogpatch USA" area. Things are greening up nicely in S.W. Ark. right now but the last cold blast of air slowed things down a little.

Hope you have a safe trip.
;-)

TLCfromARK":2av34qwv said:
U.S 59 runs all the way down south to and past Houston.

Another pretty drive if you've got the time is Hwy. 7, you can pick it up off I-30 at Arkadelphia ( about 60 miles from Texarkana ) and go North all the way through central Arkansas to the Missouri border and pick up U.S.65. Or you could jump off Hwy 7 at Russelville and pick up I-40. I prefer the 1st option as you get to go up through Jasper & the Buffalo River area ( very pretty ) and the "Dogpatch USA" area. Things are greening up nicely in S.W. Ark. right now but the last cold blast of air slowed things down a little.

Hope you have a safe trip.
;-)

That is a pretty drive. Are the dogwoods blooming? My uncle lived in Russelville for years. Grandparents always tried to visit him when the dogwoods bloomed.

Yes, the Dogwoods, the Redbuds & Wisteria (?) were all in bloom a week ago. We had a spell of warm weather ( 2 weeks of 70s & 80s for highs ). I'm at work in Texas right now and they've had a few nights below 32 F while I"ve been gone. I hope it hasn't bit things back too bad.

;-)

Latest posts