Going on a cow safari

Help Support CattleToday:

What are you going to do after you dart her? 😄 I dont remember the dose off hand.

Sale barn cow?
If we get her, she'll go in my old steel goose neck until the drugs wear off. Then we'll see. She may end up at my place with high fences, or back at the sale barn.
He bought a pair of second stage, aged cows. Kinda thin, they must have had a rough winter. One of them is fairly quiet and the other is a problem.

Wilder breeds like brama take more than docile ones like angus of the same weight. Shoot her back off and watch and you can always give her more if needed

Experience says to be a quiet as possible before darting her. Don't get her hot chasing her before you hit her with the dart. That only makes it harder for the drugs to work.

100 mg/ml xylaxine 35 yrs ago, same as today.
Hated, hated, hated that Cap-Chur gun. It eliminated any impetus on the part of our clients, to actually build handling facilities... I often wished we could have been like my vet school classmate down the road, and say, "Call me when you get her up."... instead of spending hours chasing wild-ass cows over and through the TN hills and woods trying to get close enough to pop 'em with a dart.

Hated, hated, hated that Cap-Chur gun. It eliminated any impetus on the part of our clients, to actually build handling facilities... I often wished we could have been like my vet school classmate down the road, and say, "Call me when you get her up."... instead of spending hours chasing wild-ass cows over and through the TN hills and woods trying to get close enough to pop 'em with a dart.
You should write a book... like James Harriet... and then get the rights to the TV series!

Darting runaway singles is a tough business.

If you cant get them to ball up with other cows on feed or what ever I dont know that a dart is the answer. They might need a more permanent solution.😄

The
Vet that I used to work for had a Cap-Chur gun for a while. Had the exact same feeling for it. He said clients would barrow it, and finally they just quit asking for the gun back.

Did everyone make it out alive?
TOTALLY DISAPPOINTING (in a good way ;)) My best friend was there to. Not bragging,but together We're tops at working cattle.
She was laying on a hill top in the middle of a pasture. She jumped up and ran to the back fence. We walked her up to a group of cows. Then moved the group across a creek, and up a hill to the barn. sorted the cow off and loaded her and a market bull on my trailer. The craziest part was when she tried to jump out of the alley instead of getting on the trailer.
She'll be at the mrkt cow sale tues morning.

TOTALLY DISAPPOINTING (in a good way ;)) My best friend was there to. Not bragging,but together We're tops at working cattle.
She was laying on a hill top in the middle of a pasture. She jumped up and ran to the back fence. We walked her up to a group of cows. Then moved the group across a creek, and up a hill to the barn. sorted the cow off and loaded her and a market bull on my trailer. The craziest part was when she tried to jump out of the alley instead of getting on the trailer.
She'll be at the mrkt cow sale tues morning.
Amazing when people who are smarter than the "dumb cows" get to go to work! Well done!

Cheaper than a trip to Africa.

I might just point out that the 100mg/ml Xylaxine that Lucky is talking about is 5 times the strength of normal 20mg/ml Xylazine that is made for cattle use. The 100mg/ml Xylazine is mostly used on horses which are not as susceptible to the effects of the drug.

Ken

Latest posts