Going on a cow safari

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015

Reaction score
Had a friend call to say that 1 of the one and done cows he bought didn't stay in the place he out them. He's tried and tried,but can't round her up. He borrowed a dart gun and we're going to tranquilize her.
I've pole syringed bulls with Xylazine that wouldn't say in a catch pen. Never darted one. What dose should I use in a 1,000lb cow that will be on a high adrenaline rush? I know it doesn't take much, but can I over dose her?

Since you should have to get the tranquilizers from the vet ask them
I know what the dose is for 2,000lb bulls. I keep a bottle on hand. Not sure if cutting a 2,000lb dose in half is enough since she is wild. The bulls are always quite. Feed the cows, sneak up behind the bull and pole syringe them, then back off and wait for the sand man.

Try a little grain and not be in a big rush. Of course horses, 4-Wheelers, dogs and rattle pads and loud brightly clad people can be more
exciting..

I know what the dose is for 2,000lb bulls. I keep a bottle on hand. Not sure if cutting a 2,000lb dose in half is enough since she is wild. The bulls are always quite. Feed the cows, sneak up behind the bull and pole syringe them, then back off and wait for the sand man.
We give heifers that are wound up and trying to kill their calf and everything else in sight about 1/2 cc of Rompum in the muscle for 900 to 1000 lbs. It slows them down a bunch and gives time for the adrenaline to wear off. Lasts several hours.

Try a little grain and not be in a big rush. Of course horses, 4-Wheelers, dogs and rattle pads and loud brightly clad people can be more
exciting..
She got out a month ago. 3wks ago they hauled 4 really quiet cows to her and have been hand feeding them. I guess she wants nothing to do with the quiet cows. The neighbor wants her out of there before he turns his cows out.

If it's been out on range for 4 weeks, it'll probably be craving salt. Might be better than feed to try luring her in.

My bet is that there is going to be a lot more damage done to equipment, other animals, fences, panels, people......... if she got out already of where she was suppose to be she's a jumper that you can not contain. It is just my opinion and my opinion only, a little gun shot, butcher on hand......... is the only way you will gain something out of the situation.
But I do wish you all the luck that your plan works out. And I'm not saying this sarcastically.

1cc/400# (Lg. Animal Rompun)is what we loaded inCap-Chur darts, back in the day.
Never could tell if it was gonna knock 'em out for hours, or if it might barely slow 'em down enough to be able to slip up close enough to drop a rope on them...and then they were up and ready to run...or fight.

Had a friend call to say that 1 of the one and done cows he bought didn't stay in .... can't round her up. He borrowed a dart gun and we're going to tranquilize her.
I've pole syringed bulls with Xylazine that wouldn't stay in a catch pen. Never darted one. What dose should I use in a 1,000 lb cow that will be on a high adrenaline rush? I know it doesn't take much, but can I over dose her?
You have more experience with it than me, as I've never used Xylazine,
but there must be dosage instructions in the box.
What dose did you use on the bulls?

We have used Rompun at twice the rate LuckyP mentioned with the same results he experienced, but ours might be a diluted version of what he used back in the day. Dart her and observe, she should be calm enough to handle in 10-15 minutes.
You can always give a 2nd 1/2 dose if she is still crazy after first dose.
And yes, you can overdose on sedatives, (it's called suicide)

p.s.
Slaughter hold time will be listed in the instructions, usually not too long for sedatives, something like 72-96 hours if I remember correctly.

Had a friend call to say that 1 of the one and done cows he bought didn't stay in the place he out them. He's tried and tried,but can't round her up. He borrowed a dart gun and we're going to tranquilize her.
I've pole syringed bulls with Xylazine that wouldn't say in a catch pen. Never darted one. What dose should I use in a 1,000lb cow that will be on a high adrenaline rush? I know it doesn't take much, but can I over dose her?
Well how did it go ??????

Latest posts