Going home

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
So back around the first of November I had a episode where I passed out for several minutes. I was in a remote area ,by myself and nobody really knew exactly where I was. I was lucky enough to wake up and be able to get to my phone and call my wife and tell her who to call that would know my exact location. She was about 30 minutes away and got there in 20. I got really lucky I woke up that day. I also got lucky by somehow making the decision to bypass my doctor (the idiot) and making my own appointment with a cardiologist. And stumping my toe and falling in the door of the most renowned cardio team in central Texas.
9 days ago they opened me up and replaced a defective (from birth) aortic valve. There was concerns about a possible electrical problem due to my main symptom. Passing out with no pain or shortness of breath. ( Sudden death)
After the valve replacement my heart wouldn't pace correctly and I was on a external pacemaker. Around day 3 a battery change on the pacemaker lead to a failure to pace. I passed out and it took several minutes to get things started back up. I'll never forget hearing my wife screaming my name as I came back.
The next day I was back in surgery having a pacemaker installed.
Going home today. My boys my wife and my employees have been great. We may be a crude and rough bunch but give us a fight and we always seem to end up on top.
Thank you @greybeard for taking the time to mentor

@Named'em Tamed'em ...I while back you said. "If you think something is wrong get it checked out". That's life saving advice.

Dang. That's a heck of a way to have to hear your wife scream your name.

Glad you're still around. I was born with a couple heart defects. Little brother had open heart surgery, two years old in 1973.

Docs have suggested I would probably need my aortic valve replaced, way before now, but I'm still able to make my wife scream the normal way.

Congrats on a brand new chapter!

I also got lucky by somehow making the decision to bypass my doctor (the idiot) and making my own appointment with a cardiologist. And stumping my toe and falling in the door of the most renowned cardio team in central Texas.
Sometimes it pays to be "hard headed". Glad you're still with us to relate your story.

When little brother was recovering from surgery, Steve Austin (Six Million Dollar Man) visited the children hospital.

When he camp in to brothers room, doc was busy digging green beans out of his ears, so Steve visited with me and mom. I thought mom was going pass out and need surgery.

I still remember the doctors name; William Pennock Laird.

Wow dude!
Glad your on the mend. Sounds just like my buddies ordeal. He says they can't ever get him fixed the first time. They always gotta go back in and modify things...

I hear of so many folks having health issues. That means we are old!! 😆

Dang, Fence!!! That's some scary stuff and I'm glad you're going home. Makes you sit back and appreciate what's really important. Good luck with the pacemaker. You may want to cover the base unit with a washcloth or something at night, otherwise you'll wake up to a virtual disco in your bedroom with all the lights flashing. It'll scare the bejesus outta you, but that's when they typically pull the data.

Wishing you a continued recovery!!!

So back around the first of November I had a episode where I passed out for several minutes. I was in a remote area ,by myself and nobody really knew exactly where I was. I was lucky enough to wake up and be able to get to my phone and call my wife and tell her who to call that would know my exact location. She was about 30 minutes away and got there in 20. I got really lucky I woke up that day. I also got lucky by somehow making the decision to bypass my doctor (the idiot) and making my own appointment with a cardiologist. And stumping my toe and falling in the door of the most renowned cardio team in central Texas.
9 days ago they opened me up and replaced a defective (from birth) aortic valve. There was concerns about a possible electrical problem due to my main symptom. Passing out with no pain or shortness of breath. ( Sudden death)
After the valve replacement my heart wouldn't pace correctly and I was on a external pacemaker. Around day 3 a battery change on the pacemaker lead to a failure to pace. I passed out and it took several minutes to get things started back up. I'll never forget hearing my wife screaming my name as I came back.
The next day I was back in surgery having a pacemaker installed.
Going home today. My boys my wife and my employees have been great. We may be a crude and rough bunch but give us a fight and we always seem to end up on top.
Thank you @greybeard for taking the time to mentor

@Named'em Tamed'em ...I while back you said. "If you think something is wrong get it checked out". That's life saving advice.
I sure hope you're doing better!!

That's scary stuff. Had something similar happen to a good friend of mine a few years ago, heart deals are no fun (well we did get a few stories that are fun to remember now 😜). Been wondering where you were.... good to have you back brother. Take care and take it easy for a little while. aka work like a normal person for a few months.

Latest posts