Going Going Gone

Help Support CattleToday:

I wish I could send you all some nutritious Montana hay to get you through :( , although it would be smoked as the forest is on fire and I can't hardly breath today.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1mskxkus said:
Thanks for all the kind replies. Things will get better and when they do I will be back on top. A special thanks to the friends I have made here on CT.

How did your tanks hold up? Did you run low on water too?

Tanks are holding water,not as bad as last year. Wouldn't you know it,last night the guy I bought hay from last year calls and says I have some hay when do you want it.I told him about selling the cows and at first was going to decline buying any but then I thought better get it while I can. Now I have plenty to see me through winter and started feeding hay today. Might even be able to buy a pair or two of those black beasts. :lol:

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":35hyci5l said:
Tanks are holding water,not as bad as last year. Wouldn't you know it,last night the guy I bought hay from last year calls and says I have some hay when do you want it.I told him about selling the cows and at first was going to decline buying any but then I thought better get it while I can. Now I have plenty to see me through winter and started feeding hay today. Might even be able to buy a pair or two of those black beasts. :lol:

Good to hear.

hope things pick up for you real soon, good to hear about the hay. GOOD LUCK. only wish I could send you some of this rain we have had tonight, been a big storm and rain lashing down. have a flood outside hope it doesn't come as far as the house.

We went through that 4 years ago Its a terrible thing to go through I decided I'd rather have wet than dry anytime- things did turn around - but I will always keep a few hundred bales from last year now. when you watch your stock lose wieght its a lesson you never forget.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1f9vl3oj said:

Good deal! :D

MPR, I am really sorry to hear that you are having to do that. I hope the prices there are good enough that it doesnt hurt you so badly to sell. In 1980, when the worst drought of my life came and then the following two years the grasshoppers ate everything into the ground, we made the decision to buy feed. It was the worst possible decision and never fully recovered from that disaster. I am sure you are doing the right thing and I hope things are better in the near future for you to be able to run cattle the way you enjoy doing it. Good Luck to you and everyone else in that situation.

Just read the post. Sorry to hear you had to sell so many. I think you were kidding about buying a couple cows back, but just in case wait till you have grass.

Been gone awhile and finally had a minute to catch up with the goin' ons here. Was sorry to hear your trouble and what it has lead to for you. Appreciate your taking care of your stock no matter how hard it is for you. Just remember that even if your cattle go - you don't have to leave the board. Hope things turn around quickly for you.

Glad to hear that you were able to get some winter feed.
Do consider ourselves belssed up here...great second cutting and will have the barn full when we process another couple of steers.
No rain this time of the year and lost pasture last month, do have a couple of head on a lease with some grass. Usually rains in mid Sept but this year the dry season came early.
Hope that you can rebuild soon....DMc

Latest posts