goats

Help Support CattleToday:

cattletom

Reaction score
can anybody give me any info on goats.. how much to feed them and what kind are the best and for what reason..... any advice on goats would be helpful.......tommy

HOwdy,
I don't know how much I can help but shoot for any question and I'll try to answer. To start out what is the purpose you want them for to clear out land, milk, meat, pets, etc?? Then we can go on from there. The mininium they need water, salt, fresh pasture or hay, plus the regular deworming and hoof trimmings that's about it.
Ellie May

hey ellie may thank you for answering/ we have cows right now but i am thinking abot getting rid of some of the cows and getting some goats. we have horses and donkeys too. sort of a hobby thing but try to make a little money also. what are the best goats to get for pets and fun. how many goats will replace one cow. how often do they need wormed. i might like some for meat but im not really sure. they will be in pasture part of the time and woods part of the time. i huess these are the only questions so far thanks ..tommy

cattletom":309k9ww7 said:
hey ellie may thank you for answering/ we have cows right now but i am thinking abot getting rid of some of the cows and getting some goats. we have horses and donkeys too. sort of a hobby thing but try to make a little money also. what are the best goats to get for pets and fun. how many goats will replace one cow. how often do they need wormed. i might like some for meat but im not really sure. they will be in pasture part of the time and woods part of the time. i huess these are the only questions so far thanks ..tommy

Howdy,
Well the easiest to take care raise,have as a pet and make money off of I've found are Boer Goats and Boer crosses. But they are more expensive then dairy goats and pygmies/dwarves unless they are registered. It just depends on what you want, to equal a cow. Then you can get brush goats/mixed breeds at the local market (but don't advise it if your looking to make money). It depends on what your looking to do. Your best bet would to be if you are serious to go to a local farmer that raises the kind you want and start from there that's how I learned everything I know now. 1st hand experiences I've found work the best. I normally deworm every 2-3 months dpends on what kind of dewormer you use. Horse dewormer every about 5 months, cattle about every 3 months, and then they have specially made dewomer you can put in the feed to deworm everyday or week. If your wanting to go the meat way you could go for Kiko, Boer, Tennesee Meat Goats, the All American Breed, etc.. or smaller African Pygmies. Any more questions I'd be happy to answer the best I can.
Ellie May

thank you very much ellie may. im just in the research mode right now for goats . i will find out all the info i need before i purchase any. how many per acre on good pasture. if i come up with any more questions ill let you know ..thanks tommy

Latest posts