Goats and Hotwire

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
Alright goat people, I've got a question for you. I have a pretty heavy hotwire (currently running anywhere from 11KV to 13KV depending on the weeds). I've heard that goats can die if the hotwire is too heavy. How true is this? Also, I'll be running a strand about 4" off the ground for coyote protection, will this work well or will they just find the gaps (ie gates) where there isn't any hotwire and enter there? I'm thinking we should probably bring in the goats every night, but my wife thinks they'll be fine.

I haven't lost a goat to a hot wire yet but that strand you have at 4" off the ground to keep the coyotes out is needed more to keep the goats in. They go under just about anything but I've never had them go over the hot wire so, keep the one at 4" off the ground and one about 12" above it hot and that should keep them in most of the time. Goats will try your patients, they go out of their way to find a way to get out and get in the garden and then you chase them around in circles trying to get them back in the gate.
My 2 yr old daughter for the longest time didn't know goats were just called goats and not "damn goats". Every time she seen a goat in a story book or at the fair she'd say "dam goat" or "dam goat go time out".

The only problem I have with the goats other than getting out is if you have trees, they will eat them. With eating the trees they stand up on the tree with their front legs. If there is a small gap between two trees or limbs that their foot fit in high they find it and then the foot slide down into the "V" and and get stuck. most of the time you find them its too late and they've dislocated their front leg or broke it fighting to get it out.