goat

Help Support CattleToday:

When we raised them we ate a lot of goat. Older ones were ground the kids where cooked just like rabbit. Takes remarkably like goat.

dun":19rjb0f8 said:
When we raised them we ate a lot of goat. Older ones were ground the kids where cooked just like rabbit. Takes remarkably like goat.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
how do you cook it ?
not what, but how ?

If cooked right, I love goat. What we do is bbq it slowly. Sorry can't find the recipe but I made a baste out of vinegar, lemon juice, sliced onions and spices and marinate the meat in it overnight. Then pull it and wrap in foil and sprinkle spices and lemon juice over it. Cook it at around 225-250 for about 3-4 hours. Meat comes right off bone and it is really good.

BTW - if you clean it yourself be sure you don't get hair on the meat if possible this can give it a bad taste.

We are raising 2 meat goats for 4H this year. Never done that before. We don't have a sale for them at the fair either so we need to get rid of them somehow. We thought we'd like to eat one ourselves once. What weight do you guys usually eat them? What are some cuts that you make?

Last I had was bbq goat. Tasted a lot like pork without the fat. IMO, the best thing to remember is to eat them young.

Getting ready to start raising them again, so we'll be eating them again.

cross_7":1g1wgnv8 said:
dun":1g1wgnv8 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
how do you cook it ?
not what, but how ?

With older (larger) goats you can cook them exactly the same as venison.

grannysoo":9k2qnqtm said:
Last I had was bbq goat. Tasted a lot like pork without the fat. IMO, the best thing to remember is to eat them young.

Getting ready to start raising them again, so we'll be eating them again.

Ate it a few times...cut the throat, bled it out, skinned it and just cooked it on the smoker with nothing more than salt and pepper.....at some in Mexico cooked on a spit over a hot bed of coals.....it was golden in color and had zero seasoning on it but was out of this world. Wonder what an old Billy Goat about 8-10 years old would taste like??

TexasBred":3c8bxiwq said:
Wonder what an old Billy Goat about 8-10 years old would taste like??

Pretty much like the smell during breeding season.

dun":1583881e said:
TexasBred":1583881e said:

You speak from experience ???? :p

I think I had shworma in Amsterdam that was goat not lamb, it was good.

hillsdown":ggzbwdce said:
dun":ggzbwdce said:
TexasBred":ggzbwdce said:

You speak from experience ???? :p

Sadly yes. Even a doe during breeding season will have a hint of the same flavor. Doesn;t even have to have been around a buck. We ate the youngsers in the spring and the older ones in the summer, never in the fall or early winter.

a program on rfd-tv said there were 2 million goats in the usa and we could not meet the demand for for goat meat.
only a few people i know have tried goat and no one i know eats it regularly.
so whos eating all the goat meat ?

Jogeephus":347nwca1 said:
There is a huge market for them in Florida. The hispanic and some religion is what I'm told.

Joe is correct, it is the same in my area.

Hey Cross
I sent you a pm.

cross_7":2gzcep5v said:

The ethnic population, as well as quite a few Americans. Goat meat is a staple in a lot of cultures, and relocation to the U.S. doesn't mean that they will stop eating what they are accustomed to eating. I've eaten goat, and I liked it.

Lots of goat meat consumed out there. We have a rather large hispanic population that always wants them, so I'm going to give it a whirl.

And dun....... that smell is something you never will forget. That's why you eat them young. Why any animal would pee in its own mouth is beyond me. I guess those goat wimmens really like it.

cross_7":221lxypi said:
a program on rfd-tv said there were 2 million goats in the usa and we could not meet the demand for for goat meat.
only a few people i know have tried goat and no one i know eats it regularly.

Huge demand here by the hispanics as well as muslims. Even one of our priest who is originally from Nigeria buys one occasionally and eats it.

2 million goats would not be equal to 1 days US domestic beef consumption. perspective.

Still can't find goat recipe that was so good. But have remembered that we made up a concoction very similar to Italian dressing with plenty of lemmon zest and spices and mopped it down good. Lemon and vinegar really compliments the goat meat. IMO

Latest posts