Goat Weed

Help Support CattleToday:

J-CCCC

Reaction score
A couple of postings on this board have mentioned that their cows are, or will be, eating Goat Weeds. I sensed that they were implying that cows eating the weed might be in some way harmed.

I understand that grazing on anything short of good grass is undesirable but does eating Goat weed, which my cows have so far avoided, cause any health problem? I think not.

Dun, please chime in here!

Jay

J-CCCC":1hzbdc2j said:
A couple of postings on this board have mentioned that their cows are, or will be, eating Goat Weeds. I sensed that they were implying that cows eating the weed might be in some way harmed.

I understand that grazing on anything short of good grass is undesirable but does eating Goat weed, which my cows have so far avoided, cause any health problem? I think not.

Jay

What is commonly called goat weed is also called dove weed, found that out from others on this board. Croton, which is what it really is doesn;t appear to be toxic since nobody has mentioned it killin gtheir cows. Mine won;t touch the stuff, I think because it stinks so bad.
It's obviously not a preferred forage, what else can I say?

dun

We have two types of Croton here. One is "Wooly Croton" and the other is "Tropic Croton". Never seen a cow eat the wooly type but they will nibble on the tropic kind.

I don't think they will eat enough of either to harm them.

Thanks Dun and Mike,

Your inputs agree with my short experience and opinion.

Jay

TennCattleMan57":qdj102nl said:
goat weed never heard of it. I have heard of pig weed though.
The question wasn't about if anyone had heard of goat weed. Had nothing to do with pigweed either. If you are gonna post, try to stay within the topic. Thanks

la4angus":2e0q4xrt said:
TennCattleMan57":2e0q4xrt said:
The question wasn't about if anyone had heard of goat weed. Had nothing to do with pigweed either. If you are gonna post, try to stay within the topic. Thanks

Laughing Out Loud! REAL LOUD!

Your patience a little thin today? ;-)

MikeC":68xguhjj said:
la4angus":68xguhjj said:
TennCattleMan57":68xguhjj said:

Laughing Out Loud! REAL LOUD!

Your patience a little thin today? ;-)
Enough of that SOB's sht can make a man patience wear thin.

Besides ollie made me do it.

skyeagle":21gz1inc said:
Anybody have a pic. of this goat weed

doveweed10.jpg

Goat weed, dove weed whatever you call it still is the same.

My cows ate it this year and no problems. Funny - there was still plenty of bahia grass for them, too.

To kill existing stands - spray with Grazon (2 pt/ acre) when plants are up to 4 inches tall. Taller than that - use more Grazon. Follow label instructions. Usually spray in late April. Some people hit with with 2 pt/ ac then spray again with 2 pt / ac in the fall. Creates really good control. Don't wait for the seed heads to develop - the seeds will still grow. I usually spray when the flowers are starting to develop.

Interesting fact on goat weed - they will suck 90% of the water out of the soil up to 1 sq foot from the plant.

Weeds always drink more water than grasses.

Dusty,

It makes sense that any plant with all that leafy surface would soak up and release a lot of water into the air. I've also heard that weeds consume up to 30 percent more soil nutrients than grass (don't know how that measure was taken). May be one of those, "TRUST ME" statements! Any way.

Given that a lot of water moves thru a leafy weed then it makes sense that the nutrients are sucked up and consumed in growing the weed.

IF that is the case, I say fertilize that grass and squeeze out the weeds. Don't let the weeds get ahead of the grass. If the weeds get ahead cut them before they seed.

In my experience fertilized hay meadows zeldom support a large weed population!
I know :oops: Preachin' to the choir again!

Jay

Latest posts