goat forum?

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, I've just sent in my registration. Looks like a pretty good forum, although I would prefer a subforum here so I can spend all 8 work hours online, instead of just 7. :banana:

brandonm_13":2lmai8s1 said:
Well, I've just sent in my registration. Looks like a pretty good forum, although I would prefer a subforum here so I can spend all 8 work hours online, instead of just 7. :banana:
Macon said if there was enough interest in a goat/sheep/ect. subforum he would add one.

FarmGirl10":1igrt7kn said:
brandonm_13":1igrt7kn said:
Macon said if there was enough interest in a goat/sheep/ect. subforum he would add one.

Well my vote is to let's add one!

He'll have to change the name from "Cattle Today" to "Critters Today"

hmm. I actually dont really want a goat sub forum (shock, horror!)

the thing is, like dun said, it would turn into Critter Today instead of Cattle Today. Which is all well and good but there is already Backyard Herds which has a section for almost every animal you can imagine.

I like the focus CT has, and the mindset of the people here, and I think we would lose that if it turned into Critter Today and every man and his dog started posting here.

We do have the other pets and livestock forum, the everything else forum, and the coffee shop, all of which I've posted goat pics on every now and then, other people have posted other animals. I like that the main focus is on cattle, with our other enterprises cropping up occasionally.

But then again - I dont like change :p and usually when other boards change/add subforums, I dont like it at first but end up loving it :lol2:

Keren":l466s6pz said:
I like the focus CT has, and the mindset of the people here, and I think we would lose that if it turned into Critter Today and every man and his dog started posting here.

The dogs would likely raise the level of discussion. I know my red heeler probably scores higher on IQ tests than I score. Now, the lab would just chew the keyboard to bits so I don't think I'll give him my password.

MO_cows":2qa6jabu said:
You guys could start a goat group in the cattleclub attached to this site, too. Personally, I don't mind the goat stuff that comes up on here from time to time. But if they go to constantly discussing every aspect of goats ad nauseum (like we do with the cattle), it would no longer be an interesting, occasional diversion. Just my 2 cents.

Yep, then we can divide up into warring factions and debate for hours on end topics like:

those who are pro-goat EPDs versus those who use only goat phenotypic selection

show goats versus range goats

grass fed goats versus range fed goats

those who never saw a billy with a masculine enough head and enough nuts to suit them versus those who will sacrifice a goat's manliness to chase production traits in their billy goat.

Black goats versus red goats

Horned goats versus polled goats

Crossbred goats versus straightbred goats

Those who never medicates any goat versus those who want the vet to fly in in the goat lifesaver helicopter every time little billy goat gruff gets the sniffles.

Those who think the great goat breeders all lived in the 40s to 60s and today's goats aren't near as good as the goats of yesteryear versus the folks who think todays goats are the greatest goats even God as ever seen.

Short goats versus tall goats.

Those who sell their goats at the stockyard versus those who sell their goats on Craigs List.

Those who claim that there is no money to be made by anybody EVER in the goat business no matter who you are or what you do versus those who claim they send four kids to college and vacation in Bermuda off of all the profits they make each year off of their 22 nanny goats.

This sounds like it could be fun; but it also sounds a little like we have been there and done that before too.

Brandonm22":1d0vfjnp said:
MO_cows":1d0vfjnp said:
You guys could start a goat group in the cattleclub attached to this site, too. Personally, I don't mind the goat stuff that comes up on here from time to time. But if they go to constantly discussing every aspect of goats ad nauseum (like we do with the cattle), it would no longer be an interesting, occasional diversion. Just my 2 cents.

Yep, then we can divide up into warring factions and debate for hours on end topics like:

those who are pro-goat EPDs versus those who use only goat phenotypic selection

show goats versus range goats

grass fed goats versus range fed goats

those who never saw a billy with a masculine enough head and enough nuts to suit them versus those who will sacrifice a goat's manliness to chase production traits in their billy goat.

Black goats versus red goats

Horned goats versus polled goats

Crossbred goats versus straightbred goats

Those who never medicates any goat versus those who want the vet to fly in in the goat lifesaver helicopter every time little billy goat gruff gets the sniffles.

Those who think the great goat breeders all lived in the 40s to 60s and today's goats aren't near as good as the goats of yesteryear versus the folks who think todays goats are the greatest goats even God as ever seen.

Short goats versus tall goats.

Those who sell their goats at the stockyard versus those who sell their goats on Craigs List.

Those who claim that there is no money to be made by anybody EVER in the goat business no matter who you are or what you do versus those who claim they send four kids to college and vacation in Bermuda off of all the profits they make each year off of their 22 nanny goats.

This sounds like it could be fun; but it also sounds a little like we have been there and done that before too.

Shame on you Brandon, you almost made Coca Cola come out my nose!! New rule, don't take a drink while reading a post........

Brandonm22":2vvr92ii said:
Those who think the great goat breeders all lived in the 40s to 60s and today's goats aren't near as good as the goats of yesteryear

They aren;t!

A goat/sheep forum would be nice-wouldn't have to look in if you didn't want to.. There's always something to learn and baby goats/sheep are cute-from this far away :lol2:

Brandon(the other one- not me) has a good set of points. The problem is, most goat sites just want to know how to save their goat at all costs, not how to prevent sickness...how much inbreeding they can do and have nothing happen...

Anyway, I don't see it changing the forum much. Most people find this one looking for cattle. All we really need is an "other livestock" or "other barnyard animals" section. I wouldn't mind having it in place of the horse forum. ;-)

Latest posts