Goat Fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

Andrew

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used electric fence to keep in goats? Or used goats to control weeds? I'm having a problem with weeds and I've been told that run goats after cattle. I use electric fencing for my cows with just one wire at about 32 inches. I'm trying to find out how many wires to use for goats and at what heights.

Thanks,

i think goats are going to get out anyway. unlike sheep, goats are smart.

Andrew":3hf8q89n said:
Has anyone ever used electric fence to keep in goats? Or used goats to control weeds? I'm having a problem with weeds and I've been told that run goats after cattle. I use electric fencing for my cows with just one wire at about 32 inches. I'm trying to find out how many wires to use for goats and at what heights.

Thanks,
Not sure about the wire, but I tried the goats for weed controll and they ate everything but the weeds. :roll:

A friend of mine uses 1 strand of gaucho wire 4 - 6" off the ground then high tensile at 1', 2' and 3'. He has had good luck with it. Keep the fence as hot as you can.

Kids go through square wire like a lubed up slinky on crack goes down an escalator.

My GF does the goats but I had to build the fences. I don't see them helping much with weed control. I have them in a small section I fenced off and have to let some cows in there on occasion to eat it down but then there are only a couple goats. I use field fence for them.

I bought two stiff legged goats when they were kids. They climbed right under my lower 16" strand of electric so I added another about 8" from the ground. I don't know about weeds, but those two will fight over a briar bush or a sweetgum tree.
Good luck!

My dad alway said if you can throw a buck of water through it, then a goat can get through it.

flaboy":pvmc31ek said:
My GF does the goats but I had to build the fences. I don't see them helping much with weed control. I have them in a small section I fenced off and have to let some cows in there on occasion to eat it down but then there are only a couple goats. I use field fence for them.

flaboy,

Ever had any problem with the horned goats getting their head stuck in the field fence? I've heard that they can get their head through but their horns won't allow their head to back out. I've also heard that is myth, so I don't know...

We are looking to get a couple/few and was wondering if we need the "no-climb" horse fence, or if the regular field fence will be alright for horned goats.

Thanks in advance.

GatorBuzz":1tmh0yu9 said:
flaboy,

Ever had any problem with the horned goats getting their head stuck in the field fence? I've heard that they can get their head through but their horns won't allow their head to back out. I've also heard that is myth, so I don't know...

We are looking to get a couple/few and was wondering if we need the "no-climb" horse fence, or if the regular field fence will be alright for horned goats.

Thanks in advance.

She has the Nigerian Dwarfs so they are pretty small (~16 inches at shoulder). Their horns are about 4 inches now. I was told the same thing but I see them stick their heads in and pull them back all the time. I would think it would be possible though. I had built the fence and then was told I should use the horse fence but I wasn't going back and spending the $$ to re-do the fence. I was going to dehorn them but then figured it was their only defense so I left them alone. Might want to check Goatweb.com as I just put up with them. I 'm not a goat person but I have heard the market is growing especially for goat milk ice-cream. ;-)

GatorBuzz":1v885lot said:

Thanks in advance.

The only no-climb fence I ever saw for goats was a solid wall.

dun

My neighbor has a bunch of goats kept in with field fence. They culled the escape artist and the ones that get their head stuck and don't have those problems any more. They said that you don't want the real smart ones or the real dumb ones with field fence.

I forgot to mention that the bottom strand on the hot wire setup is not hot. It is just there to make sure the goat makes contact with the hot wire as it tries to go under.

Goats will and do get horns caught in field fence. I have even saw them walk up a corner brace and stand on the corner post. We had some years ago that ran with the cows. I just don't do it now as they are a lot of trouble at feed time. They get in the feed trough and make a mess.

we have cattle panels up and a few goat panels up right now so that they can clear out a fence line...and they have done a purty good job except for the green briars...they have gotten thier heads/horns caught in the cattle panels....so since were are redoing the fences we are going back with a welded/horse type fence with barb wire strung tight at the top and at the bottom, cuz in beginning in october they will be having kids, and i dont want the kids getting out or the strange dogs gettin in. never thought about having goats till this past spring, and they were given to us, so now we have goats....and in time bar-bq goat.. ;-)

Latest posts