Go to Egypt this winter?

Help Support CattleToday:

millstreaminn

Reaction score
I know travel to Egypt is not recommended now but I was wondering if any has been or knows of someone that has been there recently? I've always wanted to see Cairo and Luxor and there is nothing (other than a travel ban) stopping me from going this winter. People on Trip Adviser coming back from there say its fine. Just wondering if anyone has been recently? IDK if it is this forum or another one where a member live in the USA but works in Egypt.

Thanks-Scott

sim.-ang.king":2bkvi7is said:
I live in Little Egypt, but I doubt you would want to see Cairo (Ka'-row). :lol:

My aunt used to live in Cairo. Very nice place. They make some fine syrup and pickles there too and the quail hunting ain't too bad either.

Egypt is like every other arab county. A shythole with a few places splashed in to attract tourist. Grow a beard, don't bathe for a couple weeks and you might fit in. Just don't forget you're an american. :nod: You'd feel safer in Israel. Just about as many arabs but at least the jews have most of the guns and you see them very often.

TexasBred":ahvaviqa said:
Egypt is like every other arab county. A shythole with a few places splashed in to attract tourist. Grow a beard, don't bathe for a couple weeks and you might fit in. Just don't forget you're an american. :nod: You'd feel safer in Israel. Just about as many arabs but at least the jews have most of the guns and you see them very often.

I will add a few comments. I have spent a lot of time in the Sinai, Golan, Lebanon, Syria, Jordan and yes even did a short trip not too long ago into Egypt - even wrote a few posts here, via satellite - while I was there - however I am only now able to mention it.

In the past five years I have spent nearly three and a half years in arab countries.

They are essentially all the the same - especially for Americans - unless you are visiting the financial capitals - they are dangerous. Even so-called commercial places like the KSA and Dubai can have serious dangers and ramifications for western people.

You look different, you act different and you are always a target. It can happen and it can happen fast. As a westerner you will be viewed with suspicion unless you are spending cash and the more the better. If it happens it will often be random - and if you are a "regular" visitor or traveler it can be planned.

There is serious inter-religious strife and there is serious deeply embedded hatred toward anything not muslim.

As long as you understand and recognize this then I can say to you - go. You might be lucky and have a great trip. You might buy the winning lottery ticket as well, and end up on the late night news as yet another stupid tourist that is reading a statement to the world about how allah wants all westerners dead.

Before you go though I would suggest to you that those on trip advisor or whatever other junk internet outlet you might be using have an agenda as well. They want your cash. So why would they want you to stay home?

Quite frankly I would not even recommend Turkey - especially now - which is one of the more moderate places.

If you want to travel to the middle east I would recommend a flight to Tel Aviv.

I would recommend staying in Jerusalem at the American Colony Hotel. Absolutely a first class place. If you want to visit the Golan the I suggest you stay at the Merom Golan Kibbutz - also a nice place.

If you would like a driver - I know one who is a retired IDF artillery officer who speaks three languages - arabic, Hebrew and English. He drives top notch equipment. He sold his trucking company to his sons and realized he retired too early. I found him by accident and he now does most of the UN personnel driving in the area as well.

When I invited my family to visit me on one of my in-country vacations - I spent it in Israel - he was their personal driver.

The things to see in Israel are numerous, interesting and historical.

The things to see in Egypt are numerous, interesting and historical.

Israel loves the Yanks.

Egyptians as a whole hate them.

You get hurt in Israel all the emergency services show up, they are qualified, they speak English and you do not have to bribe them.

The exact opposite is usually the story in Egypt.

Where would you rather spend your cash?

TB makes some comments about arab countries - I personally believe he is being far too kind.

When I have to "work" in those countries I need to be vaccinated before I go. My vaccination book is very thick - it includes malaria, rabies and every colour of fever and infectious disease known to mankind. It also has the human equivalent of 8-way - which ensure my tetanus and all those other nasty little things that can happen with only a scratch are taken care of. I also carry a rather small but very powerful drug kit - to ensure those infections are looked after.

As for the food - I tend to avoid street vendors and most restaurant. That schtinking schwarma that people seem to love in North American restaurants is made with raw egg mayo - and refrigeration(?) is non existant - so plan on being down with the schittes for some time if you do not keep clean - even to drink from a clean glass that has been handled by a local can make you very sick.

Is all the above a regular and constant? Nope.

But it IS common enough that I am never surprised at how sick people get - simply because they maintain their entitled North American attitude when they travel.

You would be amazed at how many people I have dragged out of countries like this on stretchers. And I hate rescuing tourists - they bring it on themselves on a regular basis.

Go and enjoy - you might be lucky. However have an extraction plan if you are not.

Otherwise go to Israel - I highly recommend it.

As for someone thinking I am a racist in my comments - well to you I would say - eff you - I have lived it and I know what my entire team thinks - and my comments are probably the most moderate of that entire team.

Remember, you are your own best bodyguard - to trust someone just because they are a tour guide is quite foolish. They want your cash and give a schitte about you. If there is an episode and something happens, you go down - the company makes a media statement and wrings its hands for a week and then goes right on making money as a tour company - while you are imprisoned or worse. You now are now someone elses problem and likely I will hear about you.

In closing I would have to say that your feds and their travel warnings are quite right. Libya was once a great country to visit - recently even your ambassador was killed there. Do you honestly think the same factions that exist there do not exist in Egypt? Trust me they are there in force.

As I stated - you might go and have a great time. But there are enough incidents that take place for your feds to issue warnings. They do that for a reason.

I would suggest you honour those travel warnings - or get the extraction plan and insurances all worked out well ahead of time that way the American equivalent of me will be able to help you. If you want a decent plan you might even talk with the French - despite the way people talk about them, they are truly the best at this type of desert work. (My opinion only)

Best to all

Bez__

Thank you for the excellent reply, Bez- I really appreciate it! :tiphat:

I had been trying to convince myself that Egypt was safe to travel to now. I read travel reports from people coming back from Egypt and they said it was safe. So safe that if you didn't hear there was a problem from the media, you would never know, but the back of my mind I always had reservations. I guess I was just looking for more people to tell me it will all be fine!

My end destination for this trip is Tanzania. I was there 2 years ago and loved it. Because of the long flight over, I thought I would pick another destination on my way to Tanzania. Egypt and Israel were on my short list. I had contacted private drivers-guides in both countries, (the guy in Israel was ex-military also.I think they all are) and they both assured me that travel to their country was perfectly safe. I appreciate your input on Egypt.

If you don't mind, I would like the name and email for your contact in Israel. I would like to speak with him.

Thanks again for such an informative post. I really appreciate it!

Scott

Bez....thanks for expanding on my quickie comment. All very very true. Been a long time since I was in Arab countries (prior to 9/11) and even then I was in very guarded group and not on vacation.

Egypt? There's parts of America I won't travel to now because of them being a target.
Yeah, the bad guys won thanks to our kinder, gentler government.
And I mean all the way back to Clinton and Bush the 2nd. If they'd loaded B52's with pig blood to spray right in front of the bombers and cleaned out gitmo with bullets soaked in pig blood and just things in general like that we wouldn't be having this problem.
I'll set my happy azz right it the rural parts of America and if they want to start some sh!t there I'll be more than happy to help them on to see the child molester they worship.
But that's just me.

Won't do a think. Muslims have to knowingly consume pigs blood or come in contact with pork. A lot of jews also enjoy a good ham sandwich. Sort of like the baptist and booze when no one is around that knows him. :lol2:

TexasBred":2a6xn0wh said:
Won't do a think. Muslims have to knowingly consume pigs blood or come in contact with pork. A lot of jews also enjoy a good ham sandwich. Sort of like the baptist and booze when no one is around that knows him. :lol2:

I hate to hear that. I always got a chuckle out of seeing them eat Jello and figured they would go to he77. Maybe that's why the rulers want to keep them so ignorant.

Friend of mine was in the Navy and he went to Egypt. He told me the thing he remembered the most about the place was the stench. He said you could smell it before they even got near land. Nasty place according to him.

millstreaminn":1faw26s5 said:
Thank you for the excellent reply, Bez- I really appreciate it! :tiphat:

I had been trying to convince myself that Egypt was safe to travel to now. I read travel reports from people coming back from Egypt and they said it was safe. So safe that if you didn't hear there was a problem from the media, you would never know, but the back of my mind I always had reservations. I guess I was just looking for more people to tell me it will all be fine!

My end destination for this trip is Tanzania. I was there 2 years ago and loved it. Because of the long flight over, I thought I would pick another destination on my way to Tanzania. Egypt and Israel were on my short list. I had contacted private drivers-guides in both countries, (the guy in Israel was ex-military also.I think they all are) and they both assured me that travel to their country was perfectly safe. I appreciate your input on Egypt.

If you don't mind, I would like the name and email for your contact in Israel. I would like to speak with him.

Thanks again for such an informative post. I really appreciate it!

Scott

PM sent

TexasBred":1m5ssoy2 said:

LOL

A good friend of mine in the IDF came to visit us in Canada.

I apologized for not being able to do the Kosher thing and would he please tell me is dietary preferences.

His response made me laugh.

"Bez - in Israel I eat kosher - when I am in Canada I eat like a farmer - now pass the bacon and eggs and can I please have some more milk!" (Meat and milk are not to be consumed at the same meal)

Awesome guy and I loved his open and honest approach to life.

Bez__

True on the meat and milk.

Reminded me of the joke about the priest and the rabbi having a glass of wine at the end of the day. Priest asked the rabbi. Teacher I know you folks do not eat pork but have you ever slipped just once and consumed some a good ham sandwich. The rabbi looked at him and said yes father, once and only once I did consume some ham.

Rabbi looked at the priest and said "Father I know you took a vow of celibacy when you became a priest but have you ever slipped just once and had sex with a woman?" Priest said rabbit I must admit that once and only once did I commit such a sin.....

Rabbi replied to the priest...."He// of a lot better than ham isnt' it"...................... :hide:

Latest posts