Gnats

Help Support CattleToday:

Set a small bowl of vinegar out where the gnats are. It will attract them and then they drown in the vinegar. Don't know why, but it works.

VAAngus":9i2cjy6u said:
Set a small bowl of vinegar out where the gnats are. It will attract them and then they drown in the vinegar. Don't know why, but it works.

Maybe they take a sip and get "pickled". :lol2:

Vinegar with a drop of dish soep to break the surface tension on the vinegar. Put that in a glass jar or drinking glass, then cover with clear plastic wrap tightly and poke a few holes with a fork. They will go for the smell of the vinegar and find their way in but most won't find their wy out thru the small holes. Wine or a piece of old fruit put in for bait will work also but the vingar method works real well. ZZZZZEspecially apple cidar vinegar or left over pickle vinegar. Good luck.

Gnats inside the house are often the result of ripe fruit in the open (or pieces in your trash can). Either cover the fruit or put in refrigerator.

Alternative: Bring couple of barn swallows into the house. They love to eat flying things...LOL!

Cut a used soda bottle in half turn the lid into the bottom and tape it together then pour the vinegar into the bottle the gnats can get in but can't get out through the small opening, this is also good for trapping wasps or fruit flies you just change the bait inside. I hang a few of these around the doors and one on the window sill makes a good trap. or Alternately light a couple of citronella nightlight candles on the mantle shelf that helps to.
wasp-trap.jpg
don't fill the bottles only a small amount inside is needed, just coloured so as you can see what was done.

It is also possible that they are coming from potted plants inside the house. They sometimes lay eggs around the roots and hatch in that environment. Should that be the case, just repot your plants, being sure to wash the roots as you do. They may also be coming from the p-trap in you sinks plumbing, as they will breed in it also.

jw":2r12l37t said:
It is also possible that they are coming from potted plants inside the house. They sometimes lay eggs around the roots and hatch in that environment. Should that be the case, just repot your plants, being sure to wash the roots as you do. They may also be coming from the p-trap in you sinks plumbing, as they will breed in it also.

This was exactly my problem, gnats in house plants, before I thought rationally, I threw the plants out the window/door (I need a woman around to teach me these house plant things :D ), gnats were every where in my house, I hung some fly tape up around different parts of the house, in one spot left some food out for a couple of days, caught all the gnats(I guess), havent seen any for about a month.

rowdyred":3ddtgksr said:
jw":3ddtgksr said:

This was exactly my problem, gnats in house plants, before I thought rationally, I threw the plants out the window/door (I need a woman around to teach me these house plant things :D ), gnats were every where in my house, I hung some fly tape up around different parts of the house, in one spot left some food out for a couple of days, caught all the gnats(I guess), havent seen any for about a month.

You do what you think best about getting a woman around, but before you make such a commitment you may just consider buying plastic plants. :)

jw":26481cho said:
rowdyred":26481cho said:
jw":26481cho said:

You do what you think best about getting a woman around, but before you make such a commitment you may just consider buying plastic plants. :)
:) Having a woman around wouldnt be bad though :)

This was exactly my problem, gnats in house plants, before I thought rationally, I threw the plants out the window/door (I need a woman around to teach me these house plant things :D ), gnats were every where in my house, I hung some fly tape up around different parts of the house, in one spot left some food out for a couple of days, caught all the gnats(I guess), havent seen any for about a month.[/quote]

You do what you think best about getting a woman around, but before you make such a commitment you may just consider buying plastic plants. :)[/quote]
:) Having a woman around wouldnt be bad though :)[/quote]

I totally agree!!!