Gnats

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms

Reaction score
Any of y'all southern rednecks figured out a cure all solution for gnats? As I mentioned in the 'heat thread' I've been here 37 years and I hate them just as bad as I ever did. They try to eat your eyeballs out. NoNatz is fair but merely more than a suggestion if your sweating. OFF is fair. Dryer sheets in your cap don't work. SkinSoSoft is about like NoNatz. People above the Gnat line have no idea what they're missing :bang: Any words of wisdom from the experienced crowd?

At least they don't bite like the Coastal Empire gnats. How about when they get up your nose and cause you to sneeze?

Up your intake of pickles (not sweet) and vinegar based foods or even drink pickle juice and if you know where there is a sulfur spring drink sulfur water. Not a 100% but it works pretty well and while others are getting eaten by sand gnats, mosquitoes, ticks and chiggers you'll be reasonably protected.

I always wanted to pop rivet a fly tag to my cap and see how that works. Spraying with Off or Repel works for about 15 minutes then it's all sweated off.

ga.prime":2y25dv96 said:
At least they don't bite like the Coastal Empire gnats. How about when they get up your nose and cause you to sneeze?
I think the scientific term for our gnats,is of the canine genitalia variety.

ga.prime":12zfjhyk said:

I hear ya. About like when one flys in your mouth and you look down at your favorite mutt and realize that the gnat that flew in your mouth came straight of his azz.

True Grit Farms":25oe1f74 said:
I always wanted to pop rivet a fly tag to my cap and see how that works. Spraying with Off or Repel works for about 15 minutes then it's all sweated off.

That's pretty clever. That may work. Don't see how it could hurt. Try it out Grit and let us know.

Jogeephus":305gn1mq said:
Up your intake of pickles (not sweet) and vinegar based foods or even drink pickle juice and if you know where there is a sulfur spring drink sulfur water. Not a 100% but it works pretty well and while others are getting eaten by sand gnats, mosquitoes, ticks and chiggers you'll be reasonably protected.

I've heard that for ticks and skeeters. Never thought about it for gnats but I guarantee you I'm gonna try it. In my opinion gnats are Satan's offspring.

I learned this from some Haitian turpentiners back in the 80's and have done it ever since. Can't say its foolproof but if I'm with others they will be covered in insects and I'll just be a little inconvenienced by them. Rarely ever do I get ticks or redbugs. Of course I may just stink. :oops:

I'd suggest eating a pint of pickled okra every day and see how that works for you. If nothing else you'll be a happy camper and be very regular. ;-)

Jogeephus":3j2ehasw said:
I learned this from some Haitian turpentiners back in the 80's and have done it ever since. Can't say its foolproof but if I'm with others they will be covered in insects and I'll just be a little inconvenienced by them. Rarely ever do I get ticks or redbugs. Of course I may just stink. :oops:

I'd suggest eating a pint of pickled okra every day and see how that works for you. If nothing else you'll be a happy camper and be very regular. ;-)

:lol2: I love pickled okra. Not sure how many days in a row I can cut a pint though.

What works, pretty well, for me...…… I always wear a broad-brimmed hat when I go outside. (used to wear ball-caps) Before I go outside, I spray the underside of the brim with Deep Woods Off, as well as give a light spray to the top part of the hat. I also try to eat fresh garlic everyday, as well as have something that is pickled (peppercini, pickles, etc)

Back when I smoked, I would have a cigarette burning, almost constantly.

In the watermelon fields years ago when we would stop for lunch , I would usally have sardines and crackers and when I finished with them I would stick my index finger in the juice then use my pointer finger to wipe my face . i would do this several times and one of the rookies would always ask , "why are you doing that?" I would tell them it kept the knats away He would get my can and slather it all over his face. and it works i didn't have to worry about the knats because they were trying to tote him off ,

dry spray off works real good .

M-5 said:
In the watermelon fields years ago when we would stop for lunch , I would usally have sardines and crackers and when I finished with them I would stick my index finger in the juice then use my pointer finger to wipe my face . i would do this several times and one of the rookies would always ask , "why are you doing that?" I would tell them it kept the knats away He would get my can and slather it all over his face. and it works i didn't have to worry about the knats because they were trying to tote him off ,

Bet the blow flies got in on that action...

JMJ Farms":kgc7ygcq said:
Any of y'all southern rednecks figured out a cure all solution for gnats? As I mentioned in the 'heat thread' I've been here 37 years and I hate them just as bad as I ever did. They try to eat your eyeballs out. NoNatz is fair but merely more than a suggestion if your sweating. OFF is fair. Dryer sheets in your cap don't work. SkinSoSoft is about like NoNatz. People above the Gnat line have no idea what they're missing :bang: Any words of wisdom from the experienced crowd?
Grandad always said to cut a hole in the seat of your pants....would get them away from your face. :lol: :lol2:

Workinonit Farm":lvy3iud2 said:
What works, pretty well, for me...…… I always wear a broad-brimmed hat when I go outside. (used to wear ball-caps) Before I go outside, I spray the underside of the brim with Deep Woods Off, as well as give a light spray to the top part of the hat. I also try to eat fresh garlic everyday, as well as have something that is pickled (peppercini, pickles, etc)

Back when I smoked, I would have a cigarette burning, almost constantly.

Same principle on our skeeters take a garlic pill everyday helped.