GMO grains in cattle feed.

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nesikep":2m27oj10 said:
Explain how it is not a crossbred then, explain why it isn't anything different than AI.

BTW, it's "You're a moron"
I've never said it wasn't a cross bred I've have stated repeatedly a simple crossbred is NOT A HYBRID, try to keep up. A hybrid will never occur in nature, it will not occur without direct human genetic modification. Can a cow fertilize its own egg?

ibetyamissedme":p1up3556 said:
VirginiaCattle":p1up3556 said:
ibetyamissedme":p1up3556 said:
Without detasseling you will have two males contributing to each female, it ain't rocket science.

They might both be potentially contributing but only one can be successful. There can only be one male contributor to each individual kernel. So you are just removing the competition. Each kernel on an ear could have a different male contributor but you aren't removing a parent from the kernel. You are only limiting the options of which that parent could be.
so are you suggesting they sort each and every kernel by its male parent? No they don't they sort by detasseling. Human intervention that genetically modifies the ear to produce exactly the offspring they desire. None of which can happen naturally thru a simple cross bred.

I'm not suggesting that. You are suggesting they would have two male contributors to every kernel if they didn't remove tassels. There can only be one male contributor to each kernel. The detasseling is just choosing which that is allowed to be. This can happen naturally. The odds are that the ear would have kernels with mixed parentage though, some with the desired cross and some with the undesired cross.

No, they don't sort them, they make it so that each kernel only has on option for a male parent.. If you only have one bull, there's little doubt about who's the sire of your calves right?

They detassel all plants of one variety (the "dam"), and then plant another variety (the "sire") and (optionally) remove the ears from that one, making the only possible mating a crossbreed. They could leave the ears on the 'male' plants, but that would yield a self-pollinated (purebred) seed in those ears.. Those they would probably harvest separately to plant for next years male plants. In another field a suitable distance away, they'll also plant a smaller area of the variety used for the 'female' plant, and let that one self pollinate for next year's 'female' plants.
I put 'male' and 'female' in quotes, because in corn there is no such thing per se, as both plants will naturally have both sexes, we're only limiting them to one.
It's a bit like a RA bull typically being used over Herf cows to produce a baldy, more often than a Herf bull on RA cows

and yes, hybrids DO occur in nature.. LOTS of them

VirginiaCattle":nzlpndbe said:
I'm not suggesting that. You are suggesting they would have two male contributors to every kernel if they didn't remove tassels. There can only be one male contributor to each kernel. The detasseling is just choosing which that is allowed to be. This can happen naturally. The odds are that the ear would have kernels with mixed parentage though, some with the desired cross and some with the undesired cross.
I have never suggested anything about two male contributors for every kernel, I said without detasseling you will have four parents, with detasseling you will have two parents. One parent from each plant. It was you who started rambling about kernels.

Nesikep":2brcxhmf said:
No, they don't sort them, they make it so that each kernel only has on option for a male parent.. If you only have one bull, there's little doubt about who's the sire of your calves right?

They detassel all plants of one variety (the "dam"), and then plant another variety (the "sire") and (optionally) remove the ears from that one, making the only possible mating a crossbreed. They could leave the ears on the 'male' plants, but that would yield a self-pollinated (purebred) seed in those ears.. Those they would probably harvest separately to plant for next years male plants. In another field a suitable distance away, they'll also plant a smaller area of the variety used for the 'female' plant, and let that one self pollinate for next year's 'female' plants.
I put 'male' and 'female' in quotes, because in corn there is no such thing per se, as both plants will naturally have both sexes, we're only limiting them to one.
It's a bit like a RA bull typically being used over Herf cows to produce a baldy, more often than a Herf bull on RA cows

and yes, hybrids DO occur in nature.. LOTS of them
educating yourself pretty fast neskip a couple hours ago you said a hybrid was a simple crossbred, now a whole bunch of other stuff must happen in order for it to be a hybrid. You should be a brain surgeon by midnight. I ask again does a cow fertilize its own egg?

ibetyamissedme":1c5dd6yv said:
VirginiaCattle":1c5dd6yv said:
I have never suggested anything about two male contributors for every kernel, I said without detasseling you will have four parents, with detasseling you will have two parents. One parent from each plant. It was you who started rambling about kernels.

Explain how you will have "four parents". It is only possible to have two parents no matter how many potential parents are around.

VirginiaCattle":rzd9wlio said:
ibetyamissedme":rzd9wlio said:
VirginiaCattle":rzd9wlio said:

Explain how you will have "four parents". It is only possible to have two parents no matter how many potential parents are around.
How many sexes do each corn plant contain?

it's not 'rambling', since a kernel is what you seed, that's the important part of it, any given kernel has only 2 parents, how many sexes the plant can have is completely irrelevant. Even with detasseling you still have one parent from each plant.

Congratulations ibetyamissedme, you are now on my foe list, it's the first time I've ever used it, which means your level of stupidity and ignorance exceeds that of even NC Liz.

Nesikep":fk2o02cg said:
it's not 'rambling', since a kernel is what you seed, that's the important part of it, any given kernel has only 2 parents, how many sexes the plant can have is completely irrelevant. Even with detasseling you still have one parent from each plant.

Congratulations ibetyamissedme, you are now on my foe list, it's the first time I've ever used it, which means your level of stupidity and ignorance exceeds that of even NC Liz.
A simple crossbred produces seeds with many different parent combinations, a hydrid produces seeds with the exact same two parent combination. It is a very simple and a obvious difference between the two, without the direct human modification of the genetic structure a hybrid does not exist. You have a simple cross bred with varying and uncontrolled parent combinations. As simple as this seems, it is not simple enough for you to grasp it. It may be your level of stupidity and ignorance that is the reason I'm on your foes list.

Status
Not open for further replies.