GMO Feed

Help Support CattleToday:

I had never heard of the BT1 insecticide- so have been doing a little googling-- and found it is a bioplastic (much like the melamine the Chinese were using for fertilizer/insecticide and was adulterating foods shipped to the US that killed/sickened so many pets and even kids)-- and works as an insecticide- or at least makes plants resistant to or unattractive to the insects....
The scarey thing, to me anyways, is one of the articles was telling how they had developed Genetically Modified tomatoes that contain it and are resistant to fruit fly's...
Does make you wonder tho- if its so bad the animals won't eat it- or the insects won't eat it- what are we doing eating it :???:

2/B or not 2/B":bkpuq240 said:
john250":bkpuq240 said:
They don't even understand that roundup ready corn is resistant to roundup herbicide. It does not contain roundup.

You are right john250. And since it's resistant to roundup, it can absorb it without dying and the residues remain within the plant until harvest.

http://www.pesticide.org/glyphosate.pdf

I went back and read it again, and Dr. Mercola says "In this case, the chicken feed turned out to contain BT1, an insecticide, plus built-in Roundup that makes it weed resistant. "

At the least, Dr Mercola did not communicate clearly. At the worst he is guilty of a blatant misrepresentation.
As for the fact sheet, I don't count on Democrats to give me unbiased info on Republicans or vice versa. I wouldn't expect the Chevy salesman to tell me the good stuff about Ford. And I wouldn't go to the Journal of Pesticide Reform or the NorthWest Coalition for Alternatives to Pesticides for the straight science on Roundup or any other pesticide.
I've applied Roundup since it was introduced without any of the symptoms that factsheet mentions. My only complaint is that it's overpriced.

John

Roundup is coming down in price but it still could go sky high again in the future. The cheapest way for you in the future would be to purchase the seed grains with the built in roundup. No need to ever purchase roundup again. What do you think?

options":129l2rz5 said:
John

Roundup is coming down in price but it still could go sky high again in the future. The cheapest way for you in the future would be to purchase the seed grains with the built in roundup. No need to ever purchase roundup again. What do you think?

:lol:

All this crap about GMO being bad for you flat out pi$$es me off. If it weren't safe there is no way it would be allowed in the market. There are so many safety measures in every food producing chain. Those people that have a problem with GMO should go ahead and buy organic or better yet buy their food from China. See how long it takes for them to complain about the cost or the poisons they are ingesting. Maybe they would begin to appreciate conventional American produced food. It isn't like farmers, ranchers, etc. are producing this stuff because they want to. If there were a way to stay away from GMO and remain just as profitable I'm sure many would move away from it. All these people that have issue with GMO should start coming up with viable alternatives rather than sit in their comfy office chair with the AC cranked up and condemn the actions of farmers working their tail off to produce the cheapest, safest food supply in the world.

I find it amusing how people think gmo's are the cause of all these problems yet corn has been a gmo since the 1800's. The problem really is stupid people spreading bad information.

Chickens refusing to eat the maize they had been fed has led to the discovery that their feed had been genetically modified to include a well-known weed and insect killer.

Strilli Oppenheimer's indigenous African chickens were refusing to eat the mealies in the chicken feed bought from a large supplier. Concerned that the birds may be ingesting genetically modified maize, she had the maize tested.

The results confirmed Oppenheimer's initial suspicion -- the maize had been genetically engineered to produce proteins that are toxic to certain insects and weeds.
About her chickens' refusal to eat their maize, Oppenheimer said: "They're smart."

Somebody run this by me one more time....we have "maize crops" that are toxic to insects and weeds???? Sounds like the author as well as anybody he quotes needs to go back to school.

novaman":1jzjgm25 said:
All this crap about GMO being bad for you flat out pi$$es me off. If it weren't safe there is no way it would be allowed in the market. There are so many safety measures in every food producing chain. Those people that have a problem with GMO should go ahead and buy organic or better yet buy their food from China. See how long it takes for them to complain about the cost or the poisons they are ingesting.

Maybe they would begin to appreciate conventional American produced food.Many americans dont appreciate conventional american produced food --- get over it or change what you produce

It isn't like farmers, ranchers, etc. are producing this stuff because they want to. Oh really?, doesnt this statement just contradict what you just said above? LOL

If there were a way to stay away from GMO and remain just as profitable I'm sure many would move away from it. All these people that have issue with GMO should start coming up with viable alternatives rather than sit in their comfy office chair with the AC cranked up and condemn the actions of farmers working their tail off to produce the cheapest, safest food supply in the world.
Just maybe you should get off your backside and start coming up with viable alternatives and don't expect others to do your work for you--- when will you people stop being so dependent on others ---do your own research and make the changes necessary. Is it really safe? Prove it. The only reason it is cheap is your govt which includes the forced taxes from the public both farming and non-farming communities have been helping subsidize your operations since you began--- you should bend over backwards and thank those white collar and blue collar workers -- that are busting their backsides thru forced taxation so that you can continue is your chosen field, even as dependent and dumb as you are. Don't slap the hands that keep you in business lil man

Ed

edrsimms":366g09oa said:
novaman":366g09oa said:
All this crap about GMO being bad for you flat out pi$$es me off. If it weren't safe there is no way it would be allowed in the market. There are so many safety measures in every food producing chain. Those people that have a problem with GMO should go ahead and buy organic or better yet buy their food from China. See how long it takes for them to complain about the cost or the poisons they are ingesting.

Maybe they would begin to appreciate conventional American produced food.Many americans dont appreciate conventional american produced food --- get over it or change what you produce

It isn't like farmers, ranchers, etc. are producing this stuff because they want to. Oh really?, doesnt this statement just contradict what you just said above? LOL

If there were a way to stay away from GMO and remain just as profitable I'm sure many would move away from it. All these people that have issue with GMO should start coming up with viable alternatives rather than sit in their comfy office chair with the AC cranked up and condemn the actions of farmers working their tail off to produce the cheapest, safest food supply in the world.
Just maybe you should get off your backside and start coming up with viable alternatives and don't expect others to do your work for you--- when will you people stop being so dependent on others ---do your own research and make the changes necessary. Is it really safe? Prove it. The only reason it is cheap is your govt which includes the forced taxes from the public both farming and non-farming communities have been helping subsidize your operations since you began--- you should bend over backwards and thank those white collar and blue collar workers -- that are busting their backsides thru forced taxation so that you can continue is your chosen field, even as dependent and dumb as you are. Don't slap the hands that keep you in business lil man

Ed
:roll:

edrsimms":3dzsib3v said:
novaman":3dzsib3v said:

Ed
Ed I know you're just trying to sound smart. I've read your posts on grass-feeding. You are just a nobody sitting behind your computer posing like a big know-it-all. I will not be bending over backwards for anybody. I pay my taxes and I believe I put in my share of hard work to contribute to this society. If you think I am sitting on my butt than you don't have a clue. I would invite you to do dairying for a week, heck a day and see how long you call me lazy. I am not complaining about the work as I love this lifestyle. It just irks me that some jerk such as yourself can't appreciate what we do. As for alternatives, I have no need to find them as what I have been doing works just fine for me. You attack me for supporting GMO. How about you prove that GMO's are a bad deal.

I know some people are joking with the people that believe it but I will clearify it in case they don't get it - ROUND UP RESISTANT (ROUND UP READY) SEED DOES NOT CONTAIN ROUND UP IN THE PLANT.

hayray":1srqhp49 said:
I know some people are joking with the people that believe it but I will clearify it in case they don't get it - ROUND UP RESISTANT (ROUND UP READY) SEED DOES NOT CONTAIN ROUND UP IN THE PLANT.

Hayray, has RR alfalfa been approved--or is it still tied up in litigation? Last I knew it was still in court.

So you vented and told us all what irks you-- Now it is my turn to tell you what irks me:

I have managed a dairy before and it isn't rocket science, the days are long and rewarding; at times. As far as appreciating what you do? It doesnt matter if you fold tomorrow and it isn't what you do as much as what you don't do. You don't make it on your own-- Since you began in this business, you have taken forced tax dollars from hard working people to stay in business-- my idea is that if you can't make it on your own without govt intervention (subsidies)- then you should be driven out as you are no different from a welfare recipient and the masses are getting tired of paying your way. You are dependent on the government and if you don't like me calling you on it --too bad as the sooner you and your kind are out of business the better off everyone else will be.
In a way you are lucky as you have lobbyists in DC watching over you like a child and holding your hand when you have a hard time. Your the one that has no clue-- at least until you start paying your own way in life. As far as GMO's-- I have nothing against GMO's. You are like 80% of the ppl in here: a whiner and a complainer and when you don't like what other people say, you resort to unneeded rhetoric. You are just another dependent that our society is having to care for. And you better at least be working hard daily like the rest of us that PAY their own way. I am done with you welfare recip.
Ed

Ed[/b][/quote][/quote]
Ed I know you're just trying to sound smart. I've read your posts on grass-feeding. You are just a nobody sitting behind your computer posing like a big know-it-all. I will not be bending over backwards for anybody. I pay my taxes and I believe I put in my share of hard work to contribute to this society. If you think I am sitting on my butt than you don't have a clue. I would invite you to do dairying for a week, heck a day and see how long you call me lazy. I am not complaining about the work as I love this lifestyle. It just irks me that some jerk such as yourself can't appreciate what we do. As for alternatives, I have no need to find them as what I have been doing works just fine for me. You attack me for supporting GMO. How about you prove that GMO's are a bad deal.[/quote]

Latest posts