GMO Feed

Help Support CattleToday:

MoGal

I find it very very hard to believe that any studies can be done comparing non gm grains to gm grains. Please explain to us how this is possible.

Option: there are lots of info out there, pages of research. Maybe this link can give you things to think about and read #7 thru 12:
http://www.alkalizeforhealth.net/biotechnology.htm
and then what's next after the swine flu vaccine put in corn: http://www.meatpoultry.com/news/weekly_ ... eID=102157

This is what concerns me, because I believe its nutritionally deficient.

A 2004 study inJournal of the American College of Nutrition, Changes in USDA Food Composition Data for 43 Garden Crops, 1950 to 1999, found substantial decreases in six of 13 nutrients measured, including 6% of protein and 38% of riboflavin. Reductions in calcium, phosphorus, iron and ascorbic acid were also found.¹

MoGal
Nothing you have posted so far helps anyone understand how these studies comparing non gm to gm grains can be done. Do you view GM cattle as bad as well?

(Options: perhaps some of these links might show you what scientists are saying needs to be done)

I think its been proven over and over that the FDA is in the pocket of corporate ag and not in the best interest of the people. IF the FDA doesn't require safety testing, then who will? ( http://www.foodmarketexchange.com/datac ... nic_07.php)
All I'm saying is, that there are insufficient testing of GMO, that's what I got from these reports, especially in allergen and digestion. Several months ago it was on Bloomberg TV that some companies are wanting to patent DNA.... can you imagine the consequences of allowing DNA to be patented???? I realize a lot of farmers use GM grains, especially here in the USA, but if its unhealthy for humans, don't you think we ought to know? Why not allow GM foods to be labelled as such and allow the consumer to choose????

Even scientists are saying they need more science and not less. For proper safety assessment our first concern ought to be to establish on a case-by-case basis the impact of components of GM foods on the digestive system, its structure and metabolism, because the way our body will respond to GM foods will be pre-determined at this level. (Dr Arpad Pusztai.http://www.owenfoundation.com/Health_Sc ... lth.html#5.)

GM soya produces 10% less than non GMO: http://www.relocalize.net/exposed_the_g ... crops_myth
---------------------------
http://www.organicconsumers.org/article ... _16236.cfm (Scientific testing woefully inadequate)
What are the challenges of doing this type of research?
There are two major challenges. First, it is very hard to get GM seed to conduct the research. In order to buy GM seed, you have to go to a licensed seed dealer, and sign a technology licensing agreement, which states that you won't do any research on the seed, which includes agronomic, health, and environmental research. Also, scientists who try to research health impacts of GM food get harassed and intimidated by people with vested interests in GM technology
------------------------------------------------
more shoddy science and he explains why: http://www.i-sis.org.uk/MSSIGMMA.php
--------------------------
GM DNA in human gut underestimated: http://www.biosafety-info.net/article.php?aid=26
-------------------------------------------------
Since there aren't any adequate studies on how GMO affects human health, its spreading GMO to non GMO fields (what will that do 15 or 20 years from now??? Everybody will have GMO grains whether you want it or not:
http://current.com/items/89752146_fight ... -world.htm

Round up ready alfalfa is from what I have been hearing about ready to go back on the market unless the tree huggers and western export growers pull another legal stop. The USDA is about done with the court madated environmental impact statement. I sure could use it, I have a new pest - roughstalk bluegrass that is making first cut alfalfa look like straw and this year in new seedings we had a lot of thistle problems. By the way, the anti-GMO information on here is very mis-leading, taking many talking points out of context and selectivity.

MoGal

You can cut and paste whatever you want but please answer this direct question how can any studies be done comparing non gm to gm grains?

Imagine a world where a multi national company owns patents to ALL varieties of seed and collects royalties on seed sold/planted.A monopoly which in the long run will threaten all non-transgenic varieties survival/exsistance.
In many countries GM products need not be stipulated on labels and thus do not allow consumers to make an informed decision-a direct consequence of substantial equivalence.I would sure like to know what i am eating.
Imagine the environmental impact-look what is happening to our bees for example.

If seed is controlled,food is controlled-we all need to eat(humans,cattle,sheep etc).That is far more powerful than any weaponary and they will thus control the world.

So if you invent something you should not be able to own a patent on it? Hmmm, that is interesting, maybe we should all be producing products for free, I am sure a lot of good would get done that way, what was the name of that country?- Soviet Union.

This discussion is hilarious. I cannot believe how some people are such doomsdayers. I mean I realize they are out there but to get a taste of how they think is just outrageous. Oh and if anyone is taking score there is more than one company producing GMO seed. Lets set the facts straight.

You can just call someone a doomsdayer and disregard them completely or you can consider the reasons behind their concerns. I didn't spend a lot of time searching for examples for you, just the one I'm most familiar with. http://www.percyschmeiser.com/conflict.htm

Percy Schmeiser is a canola farmer from Saskatchewan, also a seed saver who uses his own seeds year to year. He was sued by a GMO seed producer for copyright infringement after RR canola spread into his fields. He was told he couldn't save his seeds anymore and would have to pay the company's technology fees. Seems it would have been easier for this older gentleman, who is near retirement, to roll over under the legal weight of a giant, but he risked all he had and stood up to fight for his principles. The ability to save seed and replant each year without needing permission or a contract is one way we and others can safeguard the ability to feed ourselves. Trying to take that ability away, under the guise of copyright protection, seems quite concerning to me. But maybe I'm just a doomsdayer too.

2/B or not 2/B":gr71n8j8 said:
You can just call someone a doomsdayer and disregard them completely or you can consider the reasons behind their concerns. I didn't spend a lot of time searching for examples for you, just the one I'm most familiar with. http://www.percyschmeiser.com/conflict.htm

Percy Schmeiser is a canola farmer from Saskatchewan, also a seed saver who uses his own seeds year to year. He was sued by a GMO seed producer for copyright infringement after RR canola spread into his fields. He was told he couldn't save his seeds anymore and would have to pay the company's technology fees. Seems it would have been easier for this older gentleman, who is near retirement, to roll over under the legal weight of a giant, but he risked all he had and stood up to fight for his principles. The ability to save seed and replant each year without needing permission or a contract is one way we and others can safeguard the ability to feed ourselves. Trying to take that ability away, under the guise of copyright protection, seems quite concerning to me. But maybe I'm just a doomsdayer too.
It seems you misunderstood where I stand. I am not supporting the GMO companies. Instances like you just linked to are why I believe there is a gray area. However, the pros of GMO crops far outweigh the cons. As was said, we would be starving without the increased yields of GMO crops. As far as disregarding you and others, there is good reason. This has gotten to the point that people will fabricate any kind of story or case they can to shut this thing down. They have a closed mind to anything reasonable and want to live in the past. Get over it. Things change and there is no way around that. The progress is not always popular but I believe it is necessary.

From the perspective of the seed firm, hybridization had two commercial advantages. First, simple examination of a hybrid seed does not reveal its lineage, thus offering companies proprietary control over the seeds they develop. (Whick seems to be what you have the problem with) Second, the enhanced vigor of hybrid seed is not transmitted to its offspring, requiring farmers to buy new seed every year to ensure continued vigor. Crops cultivated from seed saved from a hybrid crop grown in the previous year are typically less vibrant and significantly lower in yield.

novaman":367ypp3x said:
This has gotten to the point that people will fabricate any kind of story or case they can to shut this thing down.
That would be impossible to accomplish,transgenic contamination for one is already out of contol and i believe will not be contained.(check out 'Mexico transgenic corn if you have the inclination).
Can you deny that the following is happening(to mention only a few)-
Transgenic contamination
Increased seed prices
Detrimental environmenal impact
Small farm closures
Non transgenic seed varieties being wiped out
Substantial equivalence
They are not fabricated!I am no 'doomsdayer' but a realist.If some people want to turn a blind eye then so be it.I for one can see the pros and cons of GMO's and find it vastly interesting and at the same time very perturbing.

Alison the world must eat. It cannot be fed on 60 bu/acre corn. Your continent is a prime example of many continueing "old world methods" in the 21st century setting.

Farmers generally do not like Monsanto because of their business practices and their fees, but farmers have voted with $ in favor of Monsanto's products.
Lest we forget, roundup ready beans replace millions of kids walking through bean fields. I have been one of those kids. I'm consulting with a law firm about suing my parents.

john250":hbhfsth7 said:
Farmers generally do not like Monsanto because of their business practices and their fees, but farmers have voted with $ in favor of Monsanto's products.
Lest we forget, roundup ready beans replace millions of kids walking through bean fields. I have been one of those kids. I'm consulting with a law firm about suing my parents.

Keep me up to date on the details. We might want to make this a "class action" suit. :lol2:

scarecrow010.jpg
TexasBred":184pfexc said:
Your continent is a prime example of many continueing "old world methods" in the 21st century setting.
:shock: :shock: You are so right TB-we still use scarecrows,hi tech ones,notice the DVD dangling from his hand! :lol: :lol:

alisonb":3drp7nhe said:
scarecrow010.jpg
TexasBred":3drp7nhe said:
Your continent is a prime example of many continueing "old world methods" in the 21st century setting.
:shock: :shock: You are so right TB-we still use scarecrows,hi tech ones,notice the DVD dangling from his hand! :lol: :lol:

Can that dude talk "jive" and "shake that bootie"??? :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Latest posts