GM Thread got me thinking.........

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
...uoh is right. I can't think in these numbers so I got out my getchalater and did some ciphering.

Just trying to get warmed up on all them digits I started out with the comparison of a dollar to a million dollars. A million dollars is equal to 1 inch in 16 miles. Or 1 minute in two years. Or a penny in $10,000. Or one fork full of steak in 31 tons of ribeyes.

Playing with a billion I figure this is equivalent to an inch in 16,000 miles. One second in 32 years. One penny in $10,000,000. One pinch of mineral in 10,000 tons of mineral.

Figuring with a trillion, 1 postage stamp in the area of the city of Dallas Texas. 1 inch in 16 million miles or 1 inch in 600 times around the world. 1 second in 320 centuries. The weight of one flea on 36 billion cows.

Putting this in terms of the national debt, I figure we can pay this thing off without a hitch. All we gotta do is pay a dollar a second for the next 3200 centuries and we got this puppy whooped. This is of course figuring without any interest. If you want these figures best ask HS.

Jogee

I always knew you were a deep thinker. How deep, is yet to be determined. :lol: :lol:

Hey Jogee, that must be some calculator to read out in all that stuff :lol2: .

Larry

Jogeephus":5vpcn722 said:
...uoh is right. I can't think in these numbers so I got out my getchalater and did some ciphering.

Or one fork full of steak in 31 tons of ribeyes.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Jogeephus":3gc36723 said:
Putting this in terms of the national debt, I figure we can pay this thing off without a hitch. All we gotta do is pay a dollar a second for the next 3200 centuries and we got this puppy whooped. This is of course figuring without any interest. If you want these figures best ask HS.

Who said anything about paying this off? Ask GM bondholders how that's working for them.

The weight of one flea on 36 billion cows.

Joe, I'm gonna have to call you out on this one. :???: :cowboy:
I'm gonna need some proof here. :compute:

Here is where a person gets burnt....

Say you have a Jumbo Certificate of Deposit (CD) in a tax deferred account for $100K signed with an interest rate of 4% guaranteed by the full faith and credit of the USA (FDIC insurance). The first year, interest income is $4K. The second year, interest income is $4,160 if the interest income is reinvested at the same rate. By the 20th year, the returns explode upward because of the magic of compounding interest as long as the interest income is reinvested in each of the 20 previous years. Theoretically, let's say your cost basis is $100K.

Lets also say in this example after the 20th year $1M is now in your account. Therefore, you have a tax liability of the current tax rate on $900K usually classified as ordinary income tax and not capital gains tax at a lower rate. If you keep the funds in the account when you die, estate taxes can kick in amounting to about 50%. So say you die, estate tax liability at 50% is $500K and income tax liability is 40% or an additional $360K for a total of $860K. That leaves your family with $140K free and clear.

I can almost guarantee you the original $100K investment could have bought more 20 years ago than the $140K today mainly because of currency debasement because more dollars are chasing a fixed amount of goods. If you originally bought a limited resource that does not depreciate, such as land for example, I can almost guarantee you the value of the land when sold and all taxes are paid, the buying power received is likely to be greater than the buying power of $140K received with CDs.

So - given all this high brow math ya'll been doin' - somebody needs to set to cipherin' on the oldest question in the book.
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck - IF a woodchuck could chuck wood???
I appreciate your efforts in answering this age old question.
BB

john250":6sge1bzi said:
Jogeephus":6sge1bzi said:

Who said anything about paying this off? Ask GM bondholders how that's working for them.
Good Point.

mnmtranching":160yw8w2 said:
The weight of one flea on 36 billion cows.

Joe, I'm gonna have to call you out on this one. :???: :cowboy:
I'm gonna need some proof here. :compute:

I can't believe you doubt the accuracy of Jim Beam and my getchalations. We were extremely careful in our ciphering since accuracy was so important. But to soothe your doubts I refigured this and think you got a point. Came up with 22,494 moderate framed cattle. Figured this with my crayons though since I noticed the dang calculator was made in China. ;-) I'll discuss this with Jim tonight and get his opinion. I'm sure he will have a solution to paying this thing off promptly.

Jogeephus":279dv4vc said:
I'll discuss this with Jim tonight and get his opinion. I'm sure he will have a solution to paying this thing off promptly.

Jim and I are not on speaking terms. It seems that everytime that he and I speak, I always end up with a headache.

Now Jack on the other hand, is always welcome. :nod:

grannysoo":ip7xjpxl said:
HerefordSire":ip7xjpxl said:
I would rather take wild turkey 101 lessons with Dickel and Beam.

Dickel is also welcome. :nod:

The old charcoal removes headache trick of the Kentuckians. :cboy: :cboy: :cboy:

You would never make it hanging out with me. I am not going to eat the brocolli because it is too yellow and has too many stems. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Joe, I never did doubt your figgering. Just that I was kinda hurting upstairs from all those figures. But finally you got my point. The proof I needed was like 80% Beam. :nod: :drink: :cowboy:

Any of the dark spirits are good with me. May muddle my math some but for heaven's sake keep me away from the clear stuff. The clear stuff is like pouring gas on a fire with me. Leads to extremely bewildering endings. Of course, it is good for figuring out who your true friends are cause they'll be sitting in the cell with you in the morning and instead of a good morning they'll say, "dam that was fun". :lol2:

Jogeephus":2a5934wx said:
Any of the dark spirits are good with me. May muddle my math some but for heaven's sake keep me away from the clear stuff. The clear stuff is like pouring gas on a fire with me. Leads to extremely bewildering endings. Of course, it is good for figuring out who your true friends are cause they'll be sitting in the cell with you in the morning and instead of a good morning they'll say, "dam that was fun". :lol2:

I agree. Clear spirits disagree with my physical system for some reason. As long as the liquid is not clear, it doesn't affect my system.

HerefordSire":2oe184gy said:
Jogeephus":2oe184gy said:

I agree. Clear spirits disagree with my physical system for some reason. As long as the liquid is not clear, it doesn't affect my system.

I can handle the clear spirits as long as it's the good stuff. I just prefer whiskey above all others. Even that clear "country" whiskey is good when you can find it. :drink:

Latest posts