GM Cars in the Future

Help Support CattleToday:

Not just GM. Some countries are planning to eliminate (ban) gas and diesels by 2030 or 2040.

Don't let an electric car scare you. They have some great advantages.

shaz":3j7ejh8b said:
Don't let an electric car scare you. They have some great advantages.
Absolutely. A friend of mine has a model S Tesla, now the fastest production car ever built in 0-60 time. All electric all wheel drive. He told me to make sure my head was back against the headrest and floored it. Unbelievable acceleration. Also has automatic driving mode which is mind boggling to me, totally hands free driving.

My deal with them is the range of power and when you need a charge. Maybe they've improved the charging situation, I don't know. I'd sure hate to overnight somewhere so my batteries got charged for another 300 miles.

slick4591":akvm9hy9 said:
My deal with them is the range of power and when you need a charge. Maybe they've improved the charging situation, I don't know. I'd sure hate to overnight somewhere so my batteries got charged for another 300 miles.

I followed your link. Not going to happen overnight. But says all the major car makers are going in the electric car direction. So the bugs will get worked out.

No exhaust, no transmission. Whole lot less stuff to wear out.

What I'm not seeing is electric vehicles finding their way into applications that require lower power to weight ratios like bulldozers and tractors. Seems like a good fit but no one is running with it yet.

shaz":2nq1onv6 said:

What I'm not seeing is electric vehicles finding their way into applications that require lower power to weight ratios like bulldozers and tractors. Seems like a good fit but no one is running with it yet.
Caterpillar is. Look up the D7E. It has a diesel that powers a generator and the drive is electric. Ive been doing a lot of pipeline work lately and have been seeing a lot of D7Es in action. They are calling them a hybrid dozer.

slick4591":23mxf1bs said:

The battery technology will be 100+X what we use now in 5 years. So will solar panels. That is what will be the game changer.

My brothers cars have been hybrids so he can run electric and when it runs out he switches to a gas motor.

Brute 23":1kwiuzft said:
My brother has been driving electric hybrids for a couple years now. He likes them. No issues so far.

For cars I don't see why not other than cost at this point but that will change in the next 5-10 years.

It is very inefficient your making electricity with fossil fuel to charge a battery.
This is psychics 101 it takes X pounds of carbon to move Y pounds to Z.
It doesn't matter if it comes from a internal combustion engine or out the smokestack of a Utility company.
I would have to research the electric car if I remember correctly gasoline is 30% efficient. The electric car is like 50% the efficiency to make the electricity isn't counted against it.
You still have the same amount of drag on both all things equal. The electric is more efficient losing the tranny where it looses efficiency is the production of the electricity. This goes back to boiler, generator, transformer, transmission lines, temperature etc. loosing in every step. This is the smoke and mirrors the consumer doesn't see.

Caustic Burno":1lxft7u1 said:
Brute 23":1lxft7u1 said:
My brother has been driving electric hybrids for a couple years now. He likes them. No issues so far.

For cars I don't see why not other than cost at this point but that will change in the next 5-10 years.

It is very inefficient your making electricity with fossil fuel to charge a battery.
It doesn't matter if it comes from a internal combustion engine or out the smokestack of a Utility company.
I would have to research the electric car if I remember correctly gasoline is 30% efficient. The electric car is like 50% the efficiency to make the electricity isn't counted against it.
You still have the same amount of drag on both all things equal. The electric is more efficient losing the tranny where it looses efficiency is the production of the electricity. This goes back to boiler, generator, transformer, transmission lines, temperature etc. loosing in every step. This is the smoke and mirrors the consumer doesn't see.

Bingo!

Caustic Burno":2co398sa said:
Brute 23":2co398sa said:

Cheaper to transport gasoline? I highly doubt it.

And now here is where it really gets stupid. First of all, the electric grid can not in its present form handle the load. Imagine everyone in the big city coming home from work and sticking their car on a charger. You don't plug these things into a regular wall socket. They require a lot of amperage.
Next they have been trying to improve batteries for quite a while with very little progress. May happen, may not. Is there enough lithium to go around?
Last the green folks are doing there best to get rid of coal plants. Nobody mentions that you will need these to generate the power to charge all these machines, Just ask China.
Wind energy is not economic. Solar is and getting better but still has to have back up generation. Nat. gas is best but will get more expensive if it is the only thing left after coal and nuclear are gone.
I'm sorry to say (well not really) but gasoline and diesel are going to be used much longer than these companies and the media realize.

bird dog":2arrkzdl said:
And now here is where it really gets stupid. First of all, the electric grid can not in its present form handle the load. Imagine everyone in the big city coming home from work and sticking their car on a charger. You don't plug these things into a regular wall socket. They require a lot of amperage.
Next they have been trying to improve batteries for quite a while with very little progress. May happen, may not. Is there enough lithium to go around?
Last the green folks are doing there best to get rid of coal plants. Nobody mentions that you will need these to generate the power to charge all these machines, Just ask China.
Wind energy is not economic. Solar is and getting better but still has to have back up generation. Nat. gas is best but will get more expensive if it is the only thing left after coal and nuclear are gone.
I'm sorry to say (well not really) but gasoline and diesel are going to be used much longer than these companies and the media realize.

Natural gas isn't the bill of goods being sold it still takes x pounds of carbon to produce a btu no matter if those pounds of carbon came from coal or natural gas.
That is why everyone thinks their diesel truck gets better mileage than there gas it actually doesn't on pounds of carbon burned to move x pounds.
When you pull up to the pump for gasoline you buy 6 pounds of energy for a gallon, when you buy diesel you get 7.5 pounds. Gasoline is based on a C-8 hydrocarbon octane diesel is based on a C-16 hydrocarbon Cetane.

shaz":25l80ma6 said:
Caustic Burno":25l80ma6 said:
Brute 23":25l80ma6 said:

Cheaper to transport gasoline? I highly doubt it.

On a btu basis I bet it is.
One gallon of gas = roughly 115k btus
This is all about btus doesn't matter if it's at the power plant the plug or pump were buying btus.

Brute 23":e4ub2lp5 said:
slick4591":e4ub2lp5 said:

The battery technology will be 100+X what we use now in 5 years. So will solar panels. That is what will be the game changer.

Yessireebob!! AND!!...we're all gonna have flyin cars and residential and commercial electricity is gonna be just too cheap to even meter.Just wait..you'll see.

What are you eating today?
free bubbleup and rainbow stew

shaz":46lrjy1x said:

Draglines and shovels have been running on electricity for several decades.

Farm Fence Solutions":6747y74o said:
shaz":6747y74o said:

Draglines and shovels have been running on electricity for several decades.
And trains

Latest posts