GM 6.0 vs 6.2 liter engines

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
I'm researching my next truck. I've always had 1/2 ton GM's and have been very happy with them. However the times that I haul hay or my tractor makes me wish I had a 3/4 ton. But my truck is also my daily driver and the rougher ride of the 3/4 ton concerns me. The other option would be to get a 1/2 ton with the 6.2 liter. Anyone own a 6.2? Are they good motors?

The 6.2L is designed to be a little more is a sporty motor for the vortex max.

The 6.0L is for working hard day in and day out.

Have you priced the 2 different trucks? When I was on the lot buying mine I looked at some of the 1/2 ton vortec max trucks and they were as expensive as my diesel.

Personally I would air bag a normal 1/2 ton or just jump to the 3/4 and be done.

The 6.0L is a proven motor that will last you a long time. I dont think you will see the same longevity out of the 6.2 and definitely don't think it is worth the addition cost.

That's just my :2cents:

NonTypicalCPA":207z4a2l said:
I'm researching my next truck. I've always had 1/2 ton GM's and have been very happy with them. However the times that I haul hay or my tractor makes me wish I had a 3/4 ton. But my truck is also my daily driver and the rougher ride of the 3/4 ton concerns me. The other option would be to get a 1/2 ton with the 6.2 liter. Anyone own a 6.2? Are they good motors?

I have had 1/2 ton GM's for a long time and have been very satisfied, however I recently found myself at the point you are. The last couple of years, I have had more need for cattle hauling, and was concerned it was taking a toll on my 12 yr old truck. I looked around a little and came across a 3/4 ton 6.0. I was very happy to find that it drives as good and smooth as the 1/2 ton. It will no doubt take more fuel, but I think it will be better in the long run. The newer vehicles drive and handle much better even the bigger ones than they used to. My first truck was my parents hand me down 1989 3/4 ton Dodge, it was kind of rough but had all kinds of power. I liked it but had always been a Chevrolet man so when I bought my next one it was a GM.

If it's an aluminum block 6.2, you can expect about 1/2 the life span of a iron block 6.0, when under heavy work load. Iron block 6.2 will last longer, but anything after 2008 or 2010 I believe is a ecotech3 aluminum block 6.2.

My wife had a Yukon with a 6.2 and it was very powerful but the trade off was it was a gas hog. You could noticeably watch the gauge fall. Salesman tried to talk her into a 5.3 but she like the engine sound. She like it a lot less when she realized how much it was costing to keep gas in it!

That's odd the 6.2 in our Yukon gets 15-20 mpg.

I currently have a 2010 6.2, 2006 6.0 and 4.8 and 2010 duramax.

Nothing pulls like the diesel but the 6.0 will get it done and last a long time. The 6.2 has tons of power but I don't think it would last under heavy load like the 6.0.

sim.-ang.king":22sf4v3a said:
If it's an aluminum block 6.2, you can expect about 1/2 the life span of a iron block 6.0, when under heavy work load. Iron block 6.2 will last longer, but anything after 2008 or 2010 I believe is a ecotech3 aluminum block 6.2.

To my knowledge all 6.2s are aluminum.

It's a light duty engine only available in the 1500.

I know a guy with one and he says it gets around 15 mpg, he's happy with the truck overall.

The ride between a Chevy 1500 and 2500 is not much rougher if you ask me.

Pulling power both the 5.3 and 6.2 will pull more then a half ton should.

6.2 is fun to drive and runs hard, if you are not a spirited driver then you are wasting money, 6.2 needs premium fuel as well.

6.0 is a 2500/3500 only option and is a iron block motor, half ton gets 14/15mpg, HD truck gets 11-13mpg.

The half ton cost as much as the heavy duty truck, I will take the loss in mileage to have a 2500/3500 that cost the same as a half ton and can pull or push anything I want, you are getting more for your money.

Atimm693":1byhhj92 said:
sim.-ang.king":1byhhj92 said:

To my knowledge all 6.2s are aluminum.

It's a light duty engine only available in the 1500.

I know a guy with one and he says it gets around 15 mpg, he's happy with the truck overall.

The ride between a Chevy 1500 and 2500 is not much rougher if you ask me.
Your right, I was thinking of the LSX 6.2 which does have an iron block.

Latest posts