Glenn Campbell

Help Support CattleToday:

Hard to believe that Wichita Lineman came out 49 years ago
RIP

I knew when I saw the title!!

I met Glenn Campbell in about 1977. I was working for Tesoro Coal Company, Hazard, Kentucky. Among my duties was Quality Control. I monitored the quality of coal entering our tipple facility. I was at the scale house one morning where the trucks are weighed before they dump their load of coal into the loadout pile. We purchased coal in addition to what we mined. So I watched the quality of coal we purchased. We purchased coal from L.D. Gorman. One the the most famous or infamous people in the history of Hazard, Kentucky. LD had a small side coal company that he owned with Glenn Campbell. LD knew me. I did my banking at Peoples Bank. He owned the Bank plus most of Hazard. Amazingly, he knew the big and the little. I was the little. When he pulled up to the scale house in a Lincoln Contenential, he stepped out in a suit and coming out the other door was Glenn Campbell. He introduced us. I shook his hand. LD took Glenn in to the scale house and introduced him to the lowly scaleman.

Workinonit Farm":1jg34o69 said:
I always did like his music.

Not a fan. Plus, his reputation on visits to Hazard in the 70s portray a person that only valued vices to the exclusion of anything of value.

Bright Raven":te153qpb said:
Workinonit Farm":te153qpb said:

Not a fan. Plus, his reputation on visits to Hazard in the 70s portray a person that only valued vices to the exclusion of anything of value.

That's okay, he didn't give two schytz about your musical abilities either.

He was married to Trudy Andes, who's a part owner in several pieces of land adjoining ours. She's a piece of work but we're good friends with some of her extended family. Alzheimer's is truly a horrific disease. RIP, Glenn.

TennesseeTuxedo":18tosg3n said:
Bright Raven":18tosg3n said:
Workinonit Farm":18tosg3n said:

That's okay, he didn't give two schytz about your musical abilities either.

My dad didn't either. :mrgreen:

ALACOWMAN":24gjnv9i said:
dun":24gjnv9i said:
RIP
still as good today as it was then...one of my favorite songs...
Mine too along with "still within the sound of my voice"

dun":3f63wvqu said:
ALACOWMAN":3f63wvqu said:
dun":3f63wvqu said:
RIP
still as good today as it was then...one of my favorite songs...
Mine too along with "still within the sound of my voice"

Yes, that was a great tune from the 80s. I remember it well.

He was one of my favorites. I hated to hear that he died. I was really impressed how he had turned his life around with his present wife, and how his children had helped him to continue to play while he has Alzheimers disease. That is a tough one as my Mom had it, but lung cancer got her before she could not recognize me. I do remember her doubting everything I told her and she couldn't remember what she did 5 minutes ago which caused her to want to feed her cats every few minutes because they were hungry.
I liked the song he recorded just a few years ago while he was on Alzheimers as well. "Hey Little One." The expressions on his face showed what he was wrestling with.
He had been a Messianic Jew for 20 years after meeting his present wife. I think he turned his life around after much of the abuse that went along with the drug scene while he was a singer. I was glad to read that.

Latest posts