Glade Springs, VA

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Does anyone take their cattle there? I understand it is not a typical auction, and that they just give a flat price per lb based on grade. I had a client tell me he always does better taking them there.

Check out the prices before you go. They have a place here also. They show the price online the night before take-up. I don't use them but have been told they.only buy #1 calves now.

I went to Dreiden 3 years ago. And Glade springs 2 years ago. I felt I did good. I knew what I was going to get before I loaded them.

If they aren't #1 animals, you will bring them home.

If I had enough of a load to justify the trip, I would suggest checking their prices.

Hop on 81 and its only about a 45 minute drive from exit 23.

You been unsatisfied at the market in Greeneville? I have been this entire year.

As KT says they have a local place here. I have never taken any there and some people seem to like them and some don't. If the cattle does not have a black nose the offer will be cheap from what I have heard. You do save on the sell bill. They buy on the first Tuesday if I remember correctly and usually you see some cattle on the road headed that way.

So it is just a buying station. I know of one over in western Oregon where it is some distance to the nearest auction. Or I shoud say I knew of one. I don't know if it still exists.

Plus
You know the price before you leave home.
No sale bill.
Weigh when unloaded. Sometimes takes a while.

Minuses
Rough calves will not be taken.
Only 1 buyer. No bidding , 1 price, take it or take them back home.
So good points and what I consider bad points. I buy cull calves so there is always a buyer at the local market. Look at the listed prices and decide.

When I went to Glade Springs in Fall 2018, the load in front of me were unloaded. 1 or 2 were sorted out to be loaded back on his trailer. He just said he could buy them. Maybe said they weren't what they were looking for. I assume they were not number 1s.

Have y'all taken any to the East Tennessee Cattle Alliance Preconditioned sale they have at Greeneville different times throughout the year? I've started taking my calves that meet the criteria there instead of the regular Saturday sale, and think it's worth the extra inputs for what they typically bring over the regular sale. It's also peace of mind knowing good calves will bring about what they should, where Saturdays can be more of a crap shoot.

Ive felt good about buying 8 weights there. But not selling. Was Phil the older gentleman? The owner?
Yep. Phil Justis was one of the older gentlemen that was part owner. He and the McNeese's ran it together. Phil was a good guy from my experiences with him.

I didn't know he had passed on. Sorry to hear.

Says a lot that you're looking for a plan B.

I know the one is Mascot is no bueno. IMO

You tried the one in tazewell? I know nothing of it.
The one in Tazewell closed two years ago. It shows that the one in Athens is closed also. Brad. A lot of the cattle from your area come to Jonesville. I sell there and buy there every Saturday. I don't do Facebook but its Lee Farmers Livestock Market.

The one in Tazewell closed two years ago. It shows that the one in Athens is closed also. Brad. A lot of the cattle from your area come to Jonesville. I sell there and buy there every Saturday. I don't do Facebook but its Lee Farmers Livestock Market.
From my experience at Lee Farmers cattle sell good there as they have buyers (a nice sale barn the owner has done a lot of upgrades recently also).. I sold a lot of cattle at the Tazewell market as for almost 30 years my work schedule was off on their sale day. I think another case at Tazewell market was when the Manager (Harvey) left or passed it was down hill.

Last edited:

Latest posts