Gizmom, this is for you

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
A few years ago we talked about some embryos I bought, as I was unsure of the Angus pedigree. You told me you liked the Angus genetics in her, and even saw the maternal sire (Twin Valley Precision - her dam is Bear Mtn Pride). The heifer's sire is American Pride. She has good EPD's. I put a second embryo in the same recip that raised her, and she just passed over also.

Well, she was a year old in December (weighed 1085) and I took this tonight. We AI bred her to Lock n Load, and she just passed over her cycle a few days ago. I think she looks pretty good, but if I were to change her it would be to add more width (she has a typical angus butt!).

6r39yq.jpg

She sure looks good in profile, plenty deep and long. Those are older genetics so I can also see the old angus butt. If I was picking a mating for her I would be looking at either Charlo or a Charlo son like Reign I think that would fix the width. I don't know anything about simmy genetics but seeing your cattle trust whatever you picked will also correct the issue. I like her and it sounds like she is making a cow! Thanks for letting me know! I remember Twin Valley Percision he was a stud, but ended up being a carrier of so we never got to use him. He was a good looking sucker for sure and the cow family was super maternal.

Gizmom

gizmom":3jyiredm said:
She sure looks good in profile, plenty deep and long. Those are older genetics so I can also see the old angus butt. If I was picking a mating for her I would be looking at either Charlo or a Charlo son like Reign I think that would fix the width. I don't know anything about simmy genetics but seeing your cattle trust whatever you picked will also correct the issue. I like her and it sounds like she is making a cow! Thanks for letting me know! I remember Twin Valley Percision he was a stud, but ended up being a carrier of so we never got to use him. He was a good looking sucker for sure and the cow family was super maternal.

Gizmom

Gizmom. Kris could not post that for you without taking a backhand swipe at Angus. Shame on her. (she has a typical angus butt!)

Seriously, I drive past the Boyd Angus pastures almost everyday. I see some bulls in their pasture that has a lot in the trunk! Not all Angus have the pinched butt!

BR

It doesn't hurt my feelings a bit, all I have to do is remind my simmental friends that most of them have gone simangus. Must be something they like about Angus..... also I don't think FS was taking a swipe at Angus just stating a fact the older Angus genetics needed more in the britches. I believe we have genetics now that correct the flaw. We are all striving for perfection with every mating, if I ever have one that I thing is perfect then I will quit because I have accomplished the impossible! The boss and I have talked about going to the Boyd sale I will give you a shout if we do maybe we can get together while we're in the area. We were in the area a few years ago looking at cows, we drove past Boyd but didn't have time to stop, we have used Boyd New Day a bunch I still plug him in occasionally.

Gizmom

gizmom":1eeyl69t said:
BR

It doesn't hurt my feelings a bit, all I have to do is remind my simmental friends that most of them have gone simangus. Must be something they like about Angus..... also I don't think FS was taking a swipe at Angus just stating a fact the older Angus genetics needed more in the britches. I believe we have genetics now that correct the flaw. We are all striving for perfection with every mating, if I ever have one that I thing is perfect then I will quit because I have accomplished the impossible! The boss and I have talked about going to the Boyd sale I will give you a shout if we do maybe we can get together while we're in the area. We were in the area a few years ago looking at cows, we drove past Boyd but didn't have time to stop, we have used Boyd New Day a bunch I still plug him in occasionally.

Gizmom

Please do. I am 6 miles from their sale facility. I see Charlie Jr. at Mayslick Mill. In about 2011 when I was still seeking my way to what I was going to use, I looked at Angus bulls with Charlie Sr. He passed away last year. His spouse has a For Sale sign in the yard of their beautiful old home where the Hereford cattle started. The son lives near the sale facility. They have several farms in the area.

The old Angus I was around in the 60's and 70's had plenty of muscle in the rear. The hatchet reared cattle I see are modern genetics. Most have either been bred for CE or carcass and the rear ended has been bred off. Some of the best muscked cattle I see today are old genetics.

SD

I can't tell much about the black cow in that pic but the red one is just plain GOOD!

elk

I think your right but then they went to chasing frame and carcass and screwed them up. There are still good ones available, and I think those that focused on just carcass are beginning to realize it was at a cost.

FS

I really like the lock n load bull in the picture I didn't like him as much in the video on you tube.

Gizmom

Yeah I like them, the black one is just a black version of the red one - very similar build. The yearling bull with them is a networth son, he covered nearly 50 cows for 2017.

When I was young and Dad was the cowboy for a grazing association there was a registered Angus breeder who ran cows on the grasslands and used a pasture that was around our house. He had a hundred head that was a lot like the red cow. They were deep, soggy and broad.

Latest posts