Gizmom and the Boss great adventure

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
The past few weeks have been busy. As of July 1, I retired from my off the farm job! I have to admit it is a strange feeling to wake up and not have a job to go to. The boss and I have been looking forward to the day for quite awhile. Now we can go and do some of the things stuff we talked about doing when we had the time to do them. We pulled out this morning for the first day of the great adventure. We will be visiting several cattle operations over the course of the next 5 weeks. Be prepared for a barrage of photos as we make our way out west! A prayer for travel mercy would also be appreciated.

Gizmom

Thanks ya'll I am pretty excited. We are driving today and tomorrow we will stay in Junction City KS tomorrow night then have a farm visit scheduled with Tim Oldhe in Palmer KS on Thursday. We have been using OCC genetics for quite awhile so pretty neat to have an opportunity to see the factory. We will leave KS Friday morning and head to Cheyenne WY to visit our nephew and his family. From their we head to Montana, North Dokata then Missouri then home. Several farm visits scheduled along with AI studs and plenty of time in between for sightseeing. Our sons are taking care of the home front while we're gone along with our herdsman Mike. I'm sure bets have been taken on how long we can stay away. TG we have the jeep so will be taking lots of scenic side trips. iwill be putting photos on our Facebook page as well.

Gizmom

That is AWESOME, I love these kind of threads and I'm looking forward to hearing about it and seeing the pictures. Have a blast, and get a lot of good memories.

Look forward to your pics and impressions of the country and cattle. Of course from where you live about everything is north or west. I will send a prayer for safe traveling mercies. Have a great time and enjoy the trip. I hope to be doing the same within 18 months. Looking forward to the day I can wake up and just take care of the cattle and not worry about going to work.

Elk
I have to admit I am struggling making the adjustment. I am a creature of routine so I need to develop a new one that is productive. I plan to retire to something but the something won't be a recliner. I imagine the new routine will start when we get home from this trip! I am really looking forward to seeing the OCC cattle tomorrow. Pictures to follow!

SOB I know they will take care of things!

Gizmom

I will be interested to see your pics and also your impression of the Oldhe cattle. Them and the Bradley ranch in the SE TX Panhandle are 2 herds I hope to visit.

gizmom":w8ytq2yz said:
Elk
I have to admit I am struggling making the adjustment. I am a creature of routine so I need to develop a new one that is productive. I plan to retire to something but the something won't be a recliner. I imagine the new routine will start when we get home from this trip! I am really looking forward to seeing the OCC cattle tomorrow. Pictures to follow!

SOB I know they will take care of things!

Gizmom

Theresa and I were wondering if 2 dogs are making the trip with you? I'm pretty sure one is for sure.

TG

One is with us, the boss left Gabby to help with farm work. She didn't have enough vacation time saved up. I told her about slacking but she didn't listen.
All those times she peeled off from moving cows to go swimming in the pond cost her

Elk

Bradley is also on my bucket list Mary Lou is my hero! The lady has grit, never met her but have admired her. A true cattle woman. Maybe one day!

Gizmom

GM the thing I like about both herds is they have a plan, set goals to reach it and haven't wavered in their plan. The Bradley had to have lots of belief in what they were doing was right in order to operate a packing plant devoted to marketing their beef and the progeny of their bulls. I have only exchanged emails with them and very impressed with them. Got their catalog yesterday on their upcoming heifer sale. Wish I could figure a way to work a couple more head in. But not knowing what the weather is going to do I had better wait. Had one heifer left to calf and thought is something went wrong that I would use that sale as my back up. She had the calf in fine shape so guess I'll wait another year. The cattle are raised to work for them and don't get any pampering. Minnie Lou is also a pioneer in her own right.

Here are a few photos from today's visit with Oldhe cattle. Thanks to Tim and Trudy Oldhe for making us welcome, we sure enjoyed viewing some great cattle. Tim sure knows his cattle and his genetics. A great day for sure!

This photo was snapped on the ride over to the ranch.

A clone to Emblazon

OCC Big Time 746Z I think I will have some of this bull in the tank for next breeding season.

Another bull I liked a lot OCC Thumper 819T since I still haven't figured out how to post more than 4 photos I will continue on another post.

gizmom

The next group of photos:

The boss on the right and Tim discussing cattle.

A paxton calf out of a Rear End daughter

This is one of the I can't remember girls but I like her. This is typical of the cows we saw, deep thick with beautiful udders.

Another bull I want in the tank he is a young one out of if I remember correctly paxton he just looks like an Angus bull is supposed to look. A young but I think one that is going to be around for awhile. His name was zodiak I do remember that much.

gizmom

Awesome pictures! Great looking cattle.
Hope you are kicking off your retirement with a lot of memories. By the time you get home you might be ready to sleep in! Lol

To bad about gabby, thats what lounging at the pool (pond) gets you. More work!
Glad to hear your enjoying your trip.

Latest posts