giving two types of injections

Help Support CattleToday:

Donaldcooksey

Reaction score
Can I give a 7-way black leg vaccine and an anti-biotic in the same head catch session, or do I have to give the shots in to diffefrent time periods

Different times. If you are giving the antibiotic to cure something (I am assuming), give the antibiotic courses first, then the vaccines. What are the circumstances?

I'd think you'd want to give the antibiotic now and wait before giving the vaccine. That way the antibiotic will be more successful because the white blood cells will be focusing on whatever issue you are having requiring the antibiotic, not the vaccine.

Talk to your vet for the most up to date advice. Most vets keep current with the do's and don'ts in vaccinations. Call him/her, it's free and good to build a repor with your vet.

I took your advice and called a vet, they said no problem, because the Blackleg Vaccine contains a killed virus, thanks again for the advice.

Don Cooksey

Donaldcooksey":l4nae1q6 said:
I took your advice and called a vet, they said no problem, because the Blackleg Vaccine contains a killed virus, thanks again for the advice.

Don Cooksey

Thats interesting! When I talked to my vet about it ( this has been a while ago) he said absolutly do not give antibiotics for atleast a week. Even killed virus. It messes with the body's ablility to react properly to the vac. you just gave.
Would love to hear others (vets) opinions. Get asked this question a lot.
Double R

I think it's a matter of HOW you asked the vet.
"Is it SAFE to vaccinate with Blackleg at the same time as an antibiotic shot?"
"Will my Blackleg vaccine work if I give an antibiotic shot at the same time?"
Giving the two shots will not HARM the animal, but vaccines will only give GOOD coverage on healthy animals. And, I do believe the antibiotics HURT the ability of the vaccine to help.
Yes, go ahead, it's cheap :lol2:

Latest posts