giving shots

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

what are the reasons for giving shots in the neck versus the rump and is there any risks involved in the neck . also would appreciate tips on technique

Yes it matters. Many of the drugs and vaccinations cause some damage to the meat at the injection site. The damage can show up even years later when the carcass is cut up.
Occasionally the damage is hidden and isn't seen until the meat is cooked and on the table.

dun

Anonymous":1v1gkmvg said:
so does it really matter on young cattle?

I was watching RFD TV the other day and they featured a husband and wife cattle operation. He had built an excellent sent of working pens that allowed him to move the cattle very efficiently. His wife stood at the chute where they lined up about 10-15 cows in a row. She would just walk down the chute using the bottle fed injecting gun and injected each one of them in the neck in a few seconds. She then opened the headgate and turned the whole bunch loose. Then her husband ran in another group for the next round. I think they said they run well over a hundred head.

Question: It is a matter of training the animals or is the bottle fed injecting gun just that foolproof that it can be used if your animals are relatively calm in the chute or is it better to put each one in a headgate?

Tman":aq9vblbz said:
Is this R& D available on regular cable or just dishnet?
It is available on DirectTV and also on the Dish Network.
Go to http://www.superiorlivestock.com for the information on when auctions
will be broadcast and previous sale results.
RFD TV also puts out a magazine for, I think, $30.00 per year, donation.

The problem with those multi-dose types of injectors is they aren't as precise as single dose. For vaccinations and tuff they're probably accurate enough to insure that enough is given, but the cost of over dosing is in the wallet.

dun

skip":39l1n6im said:
Question: It is a matter of training the animals or is the bottle fed injecting gun just that foolproof that it can be used if your animals are relatively calm in the chute or is it better to put each one in a headgate?

There has been one thing I've learned about giving shots. The neck is the best place with the exception of the chlostridium shot. My gal developed a lump from this shot that hasn't gone away. From reading other posts it seemed that this situation occurs about 1/3 of the time. Someone on the board suggested giving the shot in the area under the front leg ( bad description...think where cowhands give calves shots when they have them down vaccinating, branding, and castrating the bulls). I wish I had known about the chance of that lump before I vaccinated her there. All other shots in her neck have been normal. There's just something about the chlostridium vaccination.

I have seen this too and it is only from that one type of shot. I makes a little knot for the life of the cow. Never seems to go away.

Christina":3cydax3y said:
There has been one thing I've learned about giving shots. The neck is the best place with the exception of the chlostridium shot. My gal developed a lump from this shot that hasn't gone away. From reading other posts it seemed that this situation occurs about 1/3 of the time. Someone on the board suggested giving the shot in the area under the front leg ( bad description...think where cowhands give calves shots when they have them down vaccinating, branding, and castrating the bulls). I wish I had known about the chance of that lump before I vaccinated her there. All other shots in her neck have been normal. There's just something about the chlostridium vaccination.

Latest posts