Giving shots ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I learned from work that, if you have an excessively jumpy or kicky animal no matter how restrained it is in the chute (and this goes for IM shots), is to stick the needle in first, then after the animal had thrown its fit, put the syringe on and put the meds in.

I think I've seen the one-handed SQ method before...but it's been a while. I still like the tenting method, but I guess if an animal is being a pain in the neck, then that'll have to work as well.

IluvABbeef":3er417nd said:
I learned from work that, if you have an excessively jumpy or kicky animal no matter how restrained it is in the chute (and this goes for IM shots), is to stick the needle in first, then after the animal had thrown its fit,
I don't know what kind of chutes ya'll use or you don't have them adjusted properly but I can adjust my chute to restrain anything from a 2000lb + bull to a 300lb calf so that the animal is restrained and not jumping or moving around

if they are still jumping around so much you have to worry about injecting yourself then you really don't have them restrained do you?
also Aaron we have used the Allflex guns for SQ and IM injections for yrs with no problem I don't see why you can't

Angus Cowman":1t13tmet said:
IluvABbeef":1t13tmet said:
I learned from work that, if you have an excessively jumpy or kicky animal no matter how restrained it is in the chute (and this goes for IM shots), is to stick the needle in first, then after the animal had thrown its fit,
I don't know what kind of chutes ya'll use or you don't have them adjusted properly but I can adjust my chute to restrain anything from a 2000lb + bull to a 300lb calf so that the animal is restrained and not jumping or moving around

if they are still jumping around so much you have to worry about injecting yourself then you really don't have them restrained do you?
also Aaron we have used the Allflex guns for SQ and IM injections for yrs with no problem I don't see why you can't

I know you can give SQ with the Allflex gun. It's the accidental pricking of the second hand when tenting that gets on my nerves. I have seen the method Bez talks about. Still like the convenience of "sticking 'em and kicking 'em" via IM...then it doesn't matter how the animal reacts in the chute because the needle is out by the time they realize what happened. :cowboy:

Aaron":3l8uew91 said:
Still like the convenience of "sticking 'em and kicking 'em" via IM...then it doesn't matter how the animal reacts in the chute because the needle is out by the time they realize what happened. :cowboy:

I don't believe I would count on that - some feel quite a bit sooner than others. ;-)

msscamp":3s3684wp said:
Aaron":3s3684wp said:
Still like the convenience of "sticking 'em and kicking 'em" via IM...then it doesn't matter how the animal reacts in the chute because the needle is out by the time they realize what happened. :cowboy:

I don't believe I would count on that - some feel quite a bit sooner than others. ;-)

Yea, they know what's coming, don't they ;-) :nod: . Bet it's fun on those goats of yours! :lol2: Do they make a squeeze chute for goats?

That's where the squeeze chute comes in real handy. I work mine alone quite a bit and like Bez mentioned, packing several cattle into the alley with one in the squeeze helps a lot. Seems to calm them some. I can see where Bez' method would work real well! I've been tenting the skin and then inserting the needle from the top down instead of sideways but I'll try this other method too.

BeefmasterB":1perte9c said:
msscamp":1perte9c said:
Aaron":1perte9c said:

Yea, they know what's coming, don't they ;-) :nod: . Bet it's fun on those goats of yours! :lol2: Do they make a squeeze chute for goats?

Actually they do, but I don't have that luxury yet. I don't have a problem doctoring my goats - I just put them behind a gate/cattle panel wired to the fence/between my knees/up against a fence/sit on them - or whatever is convenient, and works for their size and the surroundings. But I learned how to give a SQ injection with one hand a long time ago. ;-)

backhoeboogie":3qu9wx2u said:
That method is not exactly how I do it, but I'm going to give it a try. Especially the slapping part on a couple of high strung cows I know :D

We have one of the slapshot setups. Don't like it. Might work for someone else but didn't work for us. We tried using it on the cows and the hogs and neither was very successful. More trouble thank it's worth.
Double R