Give her another chance ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
I bought a set of 1st calf pairs with 300# calves exposed back to a bull
This one and another came up open.
All the others bred back.
Not knowing the circumstances would you give her another chance ?

The other open out of this group I'm getting rid of.
I've got another set calving now so I'll have to wait and see how that goes.
The problem is I have too many and need to cull
I have some others that I don't like as well but they bred back and calved

If you have to sell some anyway they'd be the logical candidates. Otherwise I'd probably give a 2-year old another chance.

You only bought them exposed to the bull not tested in calf so reasonable to expect some will be open so that is the gamble you took so I would stick with her.

Ken

How long were they exposed? that would be a big one for me.. if it was for a month, well, I'd probably give her another chance.. if it was for 3 months, then not... How did her calf grow?

No idea on how long with the bull.
She had a really nice big heifer calf that I should have kept.
Cows with smaller calves bred back.

She is almost a pet.
Boss cow but easy to get along with.

Will often be the first calf heifer that raises the biggest calf that will be the slower to breed back because she was putting her all into that calf. More demands on her body for the milk so sometimes won't cycle as soon. If you like her and liked her calf that much then I would keep her and cull someone else. Can you get her bred to calve with this other group you have so she isn't too far out of synch?

Cross-7":ojtz8b9a said:
Boss cow but easy to get along with.

For me, that is a big plus! If my boss cow and I get along well, easy to work with, it makes working the rest of the herd/group go a whole lot smoother.

Perhaps she just needed a bit more time w/bull.

She looks really good!!!!

I can't see how her condition had anything to do with her not breeding back. If I have a heifer not breed back because she put to much into her calf she would look nothing like that.

These pairs came in thin
They didn't raise their head for a week for grazing.
She had a nice heifer calf I should have kept.

Looks like she filled out nice. Thin heifer with a 300# calf or biggest in the group can be a challenge to get bred. On the heavier milking heifers I want them bred the first couple of cycles. It becomes a uphill battle every day they are open.

I would hold her back to the next group if you have room. But if you don't have room breed her asap and sell her to someone that has a group she will fit into.