Gin trash.

Help Support CattleToday:

Cotton seed is my preferred supplement when supplement is needed. Never used gin trash. It's going to be similar to feeding Milo or corn residue. Nutrition quality all over the place with none of it very good.
I would probably choose corn stalks. At least it would be in bales.

If it's available locally Gin Trash is a good supplement and normally very cheap. Lots of fiber in it so no worries about them getting too much of the cotton seed.

Hahaha, I was thinking Gin and tonic. Like distiller waste, the freaking regional differences amaze me.

So was I, was thinking some staggering around cattle that wanted to put you in a headlock and give you noogies and tell you how awesome you are

What are you supplementing with gin trash and what happens if they get "to much cottonseed"? How much cottonseed is to much? Must be alot.
Gossypol is the limiting toxic factor in cotton seed, depends on concentration in your seed.
My son made a deal and we are buying 210 tons.
Here gin trash is only worth the cost of trucking, we lease ground to a gin operator and they will disc harrow it into ground. It has very limited nutrition value and will depend heavily on how the cotton was picked and type.

Gin trash can be a source of dry matter if you are short of hay. I have seen producers get through a hay shortage using it but they had to add some grain for energy. We get hung up on protein and forget that a cow has to have so many lbs of dry matter per day and so many lbs of it has to be digestible.

I looked at it but don't want the spray residue to kill my precious little microbes... :)

Last edited:

Latest posts