Getting water from pond

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
I have a pond in the pasture. The cows soak in the pond all day while it's hot. Needless to say the water is nasty. The cows are also tearing the ground up around bad. What would be the best way to get water out of the pond and into maybe a tractor tire. There is a dam build on one side of the pond. Could I push a water line through the dam into the pond?

pricefarm":2oqa0a8a said:
I have a pond in the pasture. The cows soak in the pond all day while it's hot. Needless to say the water is nasty. The cows are also tearing the ground up around bad. What would be the best way to get water out of the pond and into maybe a tractor tire. There is a dam build on one side of the pond. Could I push a water line through the dam into the pond?

I've used a shureflo submersible pump for that. Works for big tanks but if you use a little 40 gallon like I did cows will fight each other to stick their nose in and tip it over.

i'd put a water line with a filter on it in the pond.. on the low end put in a tank. a tire tank or concrete tank would be great.

gravity flow it to a float valve.

should work great.

For many years our house only had water from a very large dugout/pond that filled with spring run off - we also watered cattle from the same water source - this is how we did it.....................

Fence the pond.

Buy a wind mill with a pump to aerate the pond. Or if you do not have enough wind, use a solar air pump. Put that hose in to the pond and let it lay on the bottom. That will improve the water quality over time and clear up the water. If it is a large pond you might consider using more than one aerator.

Put an additional line in the pond - suspend the end (intake) do not lay it on the bottom to prevent mud from being sucked in - you can use a couple of big plastic bottles as floats - use this as the intake to the water troughs that your cattle will use. Pump the water to the troughs. We used wind mills as we had enough wind to do the job but again, you can use solar or something similar.

Provide a gravity flow return line to the pond from the troughs so the trough does not overflow and create a mud bog around the troughs.

It is simple and it works. We did this for more than 30 years. I was by the old home place a while back and the new owners are still using the same system.

My best.

Latest posts