Getting up a down cow in the chute

Help Support CattleToday:

I saw that too. Some yearling bulls are miserable little buggers at BSE time and a few heifers at AI time about kneeling front end down in the chute. Definitely going to try it.

Do you see any downside? Clearly, you're right there monitoring and as soon as they get up the sleeve/bag is removed - or prior, if something isn't right. Sure beats a hot shot, opening one side of the gate, halters, etc.

I clicked on that to watch, it didn't have anything to do with cows. Or chutes. Or sleeves/bags.
What did I do wrong?.

:unsure: Don't click on "Watch Now". Click on the "white arrow" to play.
Thanks. That wasn't there when I tried earlier. Pretty neat!

We were told a long time ago when a cow/heifer didn't get up after calving to yell in their ear.
That works most of the time but wouldn't apply in this situation.

I clicked on that to watch, it didn't have anything to do with cows. Or chutes. Or sleeves/bags.
What did I do wrong?.
I did the same thing. Tic Toc hijacks it with some crap that doesn't even pertain to it. Had to close and reopen a time or two to get it right. Pretty cool though, I'll have to remember this if I need it. I don't know if this would work on a sick cow in the field. Just on a stubborn one in the chute..

I watched the video. A couple weeks ago at the sale they had a cow down in the chute. I was there watching. They had attacked her with a hot shot. Twisted her tail. Every thing they could think of. Someone told them to put an OB glove on her nose. They did and she hopped to her feet. I heard one of the regular long time employees say that it made a believer out of him. Me too. I ended up buying that cow. I had a glove on standby when she went down my chute.

I was helping my best friend work cattle and one cow went down. No OB sleeves available but I did cover her nose and she got right up.

I did try the sleeve trick on a first calf heifer last March. Had to pull her calf and she was down for a while. Tried the sleeve but either it didn't work or I got too nervous and pulled it off too soon. What did work? Her calf was running around and when it went behind her where she couldn't see it, she immediately got up.

I saw that too. Some yearling bulls are miserable little buggers at BSE time and a few heifers at AI time about kneeling front end down in the chute. Definitely going to try it.
Had a bull go down yesterday after his BSE. Not sure if he was traumatized or spent. Grabbed one of the vets OB sleeves and after the 2nd puff, he popped right up. That said, he just turned 3 and already 2000 lbs so I had to hold it over his nostrils (probably not OSHA approved but whatever).