Getting things sorted

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
I have been working pretty hard the last few weeks getting the place in order so it would run itself for a few weeks. I went into hospital last Tuesday and had a new knee fitted and they let me loose yesterday. I am happy how it is going, I walked out of hospital without any walking aids, I have to do a lot of work getting that 90+ degree flexion but I'll keep at it. There are a lot on here that are around my age so I guess there are plenty of you that have had joint replacements. I would be interested to hear of your thoughts and advice on it.

Ken

wbvs58":11qm21al said:
I have been working pretty hard the last few weeks getting the place in order so it would run itself for a few weeks. I went into hospital last Tuesday and had a new knee fitted and they let me loose yesterday. I am happy how it is going, I walked out of hospital without any walking aids, I have to do a lot of work getting that 90+ degree flexion but I'll keep at it. There are a lot on here that are around my age so I guess there are plenty of you that have had joint replacements. I would be interested to hear of your thoughts and advice on it.

Ken

My fishing partner just had his done about a month ago. He is 70 and I am amazed at how fast he recovered.
Told me the other day he is ready to hit Toledo Bend.

Been lucky so far with the knees. No problems at all. Talked with an old friend on the phone last week. He's 82 now and had knee replacement surgery late last year. Is on a walker now, pain almost unbearable, said he was about ready for some of the medicinal weed to see if it would work. Really felt bad for him, tried to encourage him but he's really down. Raised goats all his life and worked hard....great fella.

Yes, you hear of some great outcomes but then the occaisional train wreck, what has gone through my mind is if it doesn't work out you don't have a fall back position to go to, like the old knee is gone. I am just coming up to 67 years of age so I think relatively young for the procedure, it is only 5 days since the new knee fitted and I am getting around without any aids, I shifted the cows this morning driving the UTV but with the leg hanging out and feel that it won't be long before I will be driving the truck once I get a bit of flexibility in it so I have to be diligent with the exercises and make sure I don't have any mishap out in the paddock. It certainly feels good and stable when I am weight bearing on it already.

Ken

i have a bad knee but i am only 35. From what they tell me you can't lift over 20 - 30 lbs and can't really climb anything. Not sure if that holds true for every fake knee?

hope it works out for you.

I am 64 and had been told that I needed replacement of the knee 15 years ago but was too young to do it. They are supposed to last for 15-20 years. Since my family is very long lived...90's and 100's... I need to wait to 70 at least. But my ankle is the real problem and ankle replacements are not near as "routine " as knees and hips. Plus, I know of several that have had pretty good success with knees, but unfortunately know of several that have had train wrecks with replacements. I have been doing prolotherapy but am not getting much relief. Still am trying different types of "natural" things and researching all I can for regenerative type treatments. The pain is getting intense and there isn't anything that seems to help it. Have been on most everything and even oxycodone is like taking a sugar pill. Told the doctor that I may as well take M & M 's for all the good it does. Since I have so high a deductible I basically am paying for it all out of pocket anyway at this point. Heard about another dr. that did a friend of a friend's ankle and am trying to get his name so I can make an appt. for another consultation. I may yet find something that will work.
My hat's off to you for doing it and having a positive response so far. A good friend has done fantastic with his. He did the exercises before and all the therapy and exercises after like he was supposed to. Said it hurt like he// but it paid off for him. The way I look at it, replacement is still an option if nothing else works or I can't stand the pain any more. Some days I get tired of hurting though.

farmerjan":3kbcaez4 said:
I am 64 and had been told that I needed replacement of the knee 15 years ago but was too young to do it. They are supposed to last for 15-20 years. Since my family is very long lived...90's and 100's... I need to wait to 70 at least. But my ankle is the real problem and ankle replacements are not near as "routine " as knees and hips. Plus, I know of several that have had pretty good success with knees, but unfortunately know of several that have had train wrecks with replacements. I have been doing prolotherapy but am not getting much relief. Still am trying different types of "natural" things and researching all I can for regenerative type treatments. The pain is getting intense and there isn't anything that seems to help it. Have been on most everything and even oxycodone is like taking a sugar pill. Told the doctor that I may as well take M & M 's for all the good it does. Since I have so high a deductible I basically am paying for it all out of pocket anyway at this point. Heard about another dr. that did a friend of a friend's ankle and am trying to get his name so I can make an appt. for another consultation. I may yet find something that will work.
My hat's off to you for doing it and having a positive response so far. A good friend has done fantastic with his. He did the exercises before and all the therapy and exercises after like he was supposed to. Said it hurt like he// but it paid off for him. The way I look at it, replacement is still an option if nothing else works or I can't stand the pain any more. Some days I get tired of hurting though.

i started taking this pill and its really helped out a lot. I mean.. its almost night and day how i'm moving around after a few weeks taking this stuff.
https://www.amazon.com/Move-Free-Advanc ... VS99O6FS73

Just thought I'd update how my new knee is going. I went to see the surgeon this week and he was very surprised at how well I was getting around, he said that very few people are getting around like me at 4 weeks, he said it a few times so he must have meant. The knee feels very good, walking up to the doctors with my wife she was having trouble keeping up with me whereas before she had to slow down for me. There is absolutely no pain in the joint and it feels very stable, just a bit of stiffness around the joint. I am driving my manual pickup and have been for a couple of weeks now. I am driving the tractor but it takes a bit more effort to get the foot up onto the clutch and because it is off to the side a bit I have to watch that I don't overdo it as I sometimes get a bit sore down on the inside of the tibia.

Overall I believe I am doing more now than before the op, certainly walking is a pleasure now. I any of you are considering having a new knee fitted I would highly recommend it, the main thing is to do your exercises.

Ken

wbvs58":25c68j19 said:
Just thought I'd update how my new knee is going. I went to see the surgeon this week and he was very surprised at how well I was getting around, he said that very few people are getting around like me at 4 weeks, he said it a few times so he must have meant. The knee feels very good, walking up to the doctors with my wife she was having trouble keeping up with me whereas before she had to slow down for me. There is absolutely no pain in the joint and it feels very stable, just a bit of stiffness around the joint. I am driving my manual pickup and have been for a couple of weeks now. I am driving the tractor but it takes a bit more effort to get the foot up onto the clutch and because it is off to the side a bit I have to watch that I don't overdo it as I sometimes get a bit sore down on the inside of the tibia.

Overall I believe I am doing more now than before the op, certainly walking is a pleasure now. I any of you are considering having a new knee fitted I would highly recommend it, the main thing is to do your exercises.

Ken

Very happy for you, that you are doing so well! :) My sister-in-law had a knee replacement, and did very with it, healed well and has very good use of it.

Good to hear Ken. Sounds like you found a good team and they did a good job. I'm guessing you know a little about "follow the doctor's orders" so no need going there....

TexasBred":3ga9njxz said:
Been lucky so far with the knees. No problems at all. Talked with an old friend on the phone last week. He's 82 now and had knee replacement surgery late last year. Is on a walker now, pain almost unbearable, said he was about ready for some of the medicinal weed to see if it would work. Really felt bad for him, tried to encourage him but he's really down. Raised goats all his life and worked hard....great fella.

My dad has bad knee and joint pains and he started using a roller ball of medical marijuana and his pain nearly never flares up anymore.

I hope your buddy can figure out a way to lose the pain!

Glad you have had great success Ken. I had a hip replaced 7 years ago and it is the best thing I ever did. I could barely walk from the pain and now I climb, walk, work the cows and everything. I am not fond of doctoring but modern medicine is a wonder.

Latest posts