Getting them ready to breed

Help Support CattleToday:

midtncattle

Reaction score
I have two cows with calves born first of February and last of February. They are in good condition. I plan to do timed AI on April 16. They have some grass coming up and plenty of hay with quality mineral. Should I start to supplement them with anything to help increase chance of sticking?

Sounds like youve got it covered, I vaccinate and give multi min, 30 days before.

Red Bull Breeder":1xey2zsl said:
You like calving in January?
Not really. I shoot for sometime around Valentines the first of February calf was born on the 5th and was ai'ed to come on the 9th. The other calf was born to a cow that tore out of the pen on AI day so she calved on her next heat. If it didn't seem like "dead" time I might move to fall calving. The rest of my group will calve in May this year due to my bull having an issue!!!

If you don't like calving in January why would you breed to calve in January. April 16 AI date will give you a calving date of around Jan.25. That's at a 286 day gestation.

I usually breed to have calves around Valentines. I got some that will be ready for AI earlier this year and I want to try and catch them both to AI. By Ai'ing a little earlier I will get two shots at them before I turn them in with the bull. Also my kids have travel softball games every Saturday in April except the 16th.

Latest posts