Getting the job done

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
02B70073-77A2-463C-A95E-8AD63E5759E6.jpeg
Our home raised herd bull we put him out on 12/23 on 50 head. I just like him a bunch calves on the ground out of him are looking really good.

032BBDB9-70D4-43D9-A0A7-4E3B9CEA62A7.jpegHe has been pretty busy for the past few days but getting the job done.1733C5FA-2610-4B92-B573-7912EA847E87.jpegThe 2015 calf is a Renown out of a daughter of Coleman Blackbird 1554 and Wluffs EXT a really nice young cow tickled to get a heifer out of Renown out of her. The calf to the left is out of the herd bull that calf is about a month younger than the Renown.ADD1655D-9AFE-474D-A1A9-B100A5CEFA6E.jpegAnother bunch of calves in this field a variety of sires represented in this group. The one in the center is a Coleman Engage just to the right of the Engage calf is one out of an old herd bull we collected Coleman EXT 6149 don't have much semen left on him but still try to plug him into the genetic mix every year. The calf standing in the back on theright is out of a bull called RB Nemo an EXT son out of a the C11 cow that started the Bridget cow family the dam of that calf is a first calf heifer by Raindance out of our SAV Abigale 913 donor. The calf standing on the left is also out of a first calf heifer and a young home raised bull. I love getting out snd having some time just to look at the babies.

Thanks they would sure look better if our winter pastures had done anything we have one field that actually has grown a bit the others are like the one across the fence from the cows sprouted then just quit. All have been fertilized but none doing worth a diddley dam
Why is that Gizmon? No rain? I must admit I am used to seeing your cattle in lush conditions summer or winter.

Ken

Your bull is exceptional, but I am sure you already know that. Lol
La Nina is hurting us, too. We should have thick rye and clover by now.

Attachments

• WP_20201229_08_05_13_Pro (2).jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 24
Why is that Gizmon? No rain? I must admit I am used to seeing your cattle in lush conditions summer or winter.

Ken
Ken I wish I could give you an answer we have had rain I honestly don't know other than it was planted in 2020. Can't say bad seed because we have a good stand just no growth. The field you see in the photo we usually don't graze we cut hay off of it but heck it doesn't look like that is going to happen. We have creep gates into the field on the opposite side of the field the cows are in and it is the one that is growing a bit. The calves finally started going through the creep gates about two weeks ago so should bloom a bit now.

debbie,
our ryegrass did the same thing, good stand no growth. we even got ours in early compared to 2018-2019. (early october) we expected to be swimming in ryegrass by now. i just hope we have enough to make grazing without cutting any hay off of it like we normally do.
i assumed lack of subsoil moisture because of the dry summer/fall we had (interrupted by large amounts of rain at one time that had lots of run off) i dont know either.

My cold grazer rye didn't do as well as expected this fall either. I got it in in late September but there just wasn't any moisture from August through October. Like others, A good stand came up in November once the rains arrived but no significant growth. I only wanted it for winter grazing and it's good enough for that so I'm not going to complain (too much).

debbie,
our ryegrass did the same thing, good stand no growth. we even got ours in early compared to 2018-2019. (early october) we expected to be swimming in ryegrass by now. i just hope we have enough to make grazing without cutting any hay off of it like we normally do.
i assumed lack of subsoil moisture because of the dry summer/fall we had (interrupted by large amounts of rain at one time that had lots of run off) i dont know either.
I think you may of nailed it we waited on moisture to plant but not enough in subsoil. It is starting to come on a bit now it is just going to be late and therefore a short grazing season not exactly what the game plan called for. We are actually having to supplement the old cows a bit this year with some cottonseed and of course that commodity has doubled in price over last year.

corn pushing $5.00 a bushel all feed is gonna go thru the roof. glad we bought our semi load of pellets last month..

Great looking bull Gizmom! I really like the depth and muscle that he is carrying. I can see why you want to get more calves on the ground out of him. Do you usually expect a bull to cover 50 cows in a season?

Great looking bull Gizmom! I really like the depth and muscle that he is carrying. I can see why you want to get more calves on the ground out of him. Do you usually expect a bull to cover 50 cows in a season?
We did AI about 20 before we decided to just let the bull take care of it so he won't have to cover all 50. So no I think 50 would be about 10 more than acceptable for his age.

The bull is mighty impressive. A bull that nice on a cellphone picture has to be very impressive in person. I've tried it myself, it's hard to take a bull picture that does them justice.
BTW cotton seed $285 ton here in MS.

The bull is mighty impressive. A bull that nice on a cellphone picture has to be very impressive in person. I've tried it myself, it's hard to take a bull picture that does them justice.
BTW cotton seed $285 ton here in MS.
Thanks he really is a stud I feel we have had some really good ones over the years but 1701 is the total package length muscle depth great feet just hard to find one without any holes at least no big one. He is really easy to get along with as well big scrotal when we wormed him in November he weighed in at a little over 2300 pounds.