Getting tails realllll white

Help Support CattleToday:

LoveMoo11

Reaction score
I never really had a problem with this when I was showing (for one, my animals had baths regularly, and 2, half of them were Angus) but what's the best way to get a white switch really white? The classifier is coming Monday to the dairy where I work and one of my jobs for today and to wash all the cows' tails. A lot of them have just had their first bath and a lot of the tails are pretty yellow. What's the best soap to use? I was thinking maybe dish liquid, because that really works well for me when washing to get their hair white. Any other suggestions? I have clear choice and Orvus at my disposal as well as anything that I can find around the house/farm.

Orvus and Liquid Bluing (always a good idea to keep in tack box when you have white animals)
Make your own whitening shampoo :D

It's a laundry product that can be found in the laundry detergent aisle of many grocery stores under the brand name Mrs. Stewart's Liquid Bluing

In the 110+ years that consumers have been using Mrs. Stewart's® Bluing, dozens of additional uses have been discovered!

Making a Salt Crystal Garden - Known as a "Depression Flower", or "Coal Garden", children and families have been making this fascinating science project for generations! Teachers, Scouts, everyone!
White hair - White hair can be easily, safely whitened by adding a few drops to the rinse water. Less than a penny per use!
White animal hair and fur - Owners of white dogs and cats have known for years about the benefits of adding a few drops of MSB to their pet's rinse water when bathing. A real blue ribbon winner! Even horse owners find that tails and manes are made to look their whitest.
Swimming pools - By adding a bottle or two where pool water re-enters from the filtering system, pools can look "Pacific Blue" safely. Many pool manufacturers and pool chemical supply houses use it in their display pools. (Try it in your kids' bath water, too!)
Fountains - A California motel owner has been using MSB in his fountain, which he claims has inspired others in his area to display that clear, Pacific blue water in fountains, bird baths, and garden pools. Because MSB does not affect water clarity, it can be used to change otherwise drab-looking water into a pool of beauty.
To relieve ant bites and bee stings - Years ago, the University of Arizona printed a booklet on treatment for snake and insect bites in which it recommended MSB be used to treat the bite of a Red Harvester Ant, They claim it to be "laboratory tested". And countless letter received over the years tell us how immediate the relief is when dabbing MSB on a bee sting!
Fine crystal - A few drops of MSB when rinsing crystalware or glass chandeliers makes them absolutely sparkle, and people tell us they stay clean longer. (Perhaps the bluing repels dust?)
Medical uses - Medical labs have been using MSB for years as a tissue marking dye. MSB is also used extensively in drug testing techniques.
Other uses - MSB has been used to trace leaks in automotive cooling systems, drain systems, and toilets. Blue-tipped carnations can be made by adding a little MSB to the vase. Potters use MSB in their glassing techniques. Podiatric labs and sculptors use MSB in making plaster casts.