Getting steer to eat!

Help Support CattleToday:

4-Her Mom

Reaction score
Need some help........the steer doesn't really eat much. We are 40 some days away from the fair. June 5th he weighed 901. He's somewhat bigger, but not finishing off well. He doesn't eat all of his feed. At the suggestion of our resident expert we are now feeding a combo of things: calf manna, sweet feed, cracked corn, and beet pulp. He gets some hay each week. Our next move is to give him B-12 injections, but we were told that it can make a steer hyper. Another fella told me that charolais/brahamas are late finishers....we are in Florida, so it's been hot, but he gets a good hosing every day, he has plenty of shade and well, we've had lots of rain and it's been "breezy" with all these stinkin' hurricanes......what gives with this guy....is he anorexic, bullimic, or what? Any other tips to entice his appetitie? What's a good weight for a charolais X at a steer show?
Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. :help:

I don't know anything about a charX or Florida but, I was told once that if you add bacon or hamburger grease to the feed it will add cover in a hurry. And you might not have enough time now, but you might try cooking some corn for him. Now, Camp and Texan, stay off my case here...I'm just passing along info. :cry: ;-)

Maybe any kind of feed is better than none? With that in mind, my butcher steer prefers creep style pellets to feed with corn and molasses in it. I give him about 15 to 17 pounds of Superstock per day, and he'll leave a few mouthfuls of it, yet he will clean up any creep pellets I give him afterward. Maybe the steer doesn't want so many sweets. Also, there is a product called Fast Fat that is not sweet, and it is especially for quickly putting cover on show animals.

Well, he eats better now that we've added all the sweets, just not much, but I'll tell "THE BOSS" about it. We were doing hay everyday, but then Mr. Expert said to cut it back so he'll eat more feed to add finish....good grief......it's confusing, one says this another says that.......and the bacon/hamburger grease thing.......is that safe to do? I've not heard that at all before, but will be willing to try it if it will help. Someone suggested that the crazy weather might be affecting him.....the change in barometric pressure and all. Is there any validity to that, by the way, Hurricane Jeanne is headed right for us, the center will cross right over us if it stays it's current course.....is it possible it affects him? I can hardly stand it myself....I'm tired of it all, too!

certherfbeef":mixdc4ua said:
I don't know anything about a charX or Florida but, I was told once that if you add bacon or hamburger grease to the feed it will add cover in a hurry. And you might not have enough time now, but you might try cooking some corn for him. Now, Camp and Texan, stay off my case here...I'm just passing along info. :cry: ;-)

Not getting on your tiny hinny just wanted some clarification. I even put on my bifocals. Am I reading this right are you saying cook corn or use bacon grease to get the steer to eat and fatten up. :idea:

I think I swallowed my dip. :shock:

Campground Cattle":2lx7drvv said:
certherfbeef":2lx7drvv said:

Not getting on your tiny hinny just wanted some clarification. I even put on my bifocals. Am I reading this right are you saying cook corn or use bacon grease to get the steer to eat and fatten up. :idea:

See, I was wondering about that too. I've not heard that at all before. Kinda threw me for a loop, too!

Campground Cattle":m7ouqvy0 said:

Ya Camp, cook corn. Put whole corn in a crock pot add water and cook. But do it in the barn, it don't smell like dinner. And yes I have been told to put bacon grease on the feed. Doesn't bacon grease add to your finish?? ;-)

certherfbeef":12r32vj3 said:

I am not saying anything, I can't wait until Texan gets up in the morning.
This is going to be good.

certherfbeef":2pzfbbd2 said:
Campground Cattle":2pzfbbd2 said:

Ya Camp, cook corn. Put whole corn in a crock pot add water and cook. But do it in the barn, it don't smell like dinner. And yes I have been told to put bacon grease on the feed. Doesn't bacon grease add to your finish?? ;-)

Hey, it's worth a try......hey, where are you, I'm a Buckeye..from Lancaster...married a guy with sands in his shoes....live on his childhood farm...but, you can't take the Buckeye out of a person! Go Bucks!

I don't feed my cattle sheep. I don't feed my cattle pigs. I don't feed my cattle other cattle. I don't feed my cattle chickens. My cattle are ruminants their digestive system is designed to digest grass and browse not animals.

cherokeeruby":32ihdqs6 said:
I don't feed my cattle sheep. I don't feed my cattle pigs. I don't feed my cattle other cattle. I don't feed my cattle chickens. My cattle are ruminants their digestive system is designed to digest grass and browse not animals.

I heartily agree!

greenwillowherefords":1jybgrtc said:
cherokeeruby":1jybgrtc said:

I heartily agree!

I didn't say I did. But I know people who do and it works for them.

certherfbeef":3qok4d91 said:
greenwillowherefords":3qok4d91 said:
cherokeeruby":3qok4d91 said:

I heartily agree!

I didn't say I did. But I know people who do and it works for them.
This is apparently a bad thing......we are new at this.....just give us straightforward stuff, don't want to be a guinea pig in controversial stuff. Just want to get to the fair and be done with it.....want to do a good job of it though....not raise eyebrows along the way.....

4-Her Mom":39u3m4xm said:
This is apparently a bad thing......we are new at this.....just give us straightforward stuff, don't want to be a guinea pig in controversial stuff. Just want to get to the fair and be done with it.....want to do a good job of it though....not raise eyebrows along the way.....

Check your private messages 4-H Mom

I am certainly against feeding any type of animal product or by-product to a bovine. However, that doesn't rule out trying something new and exciting, perhaps buttered green beans with lemon juice and parsley, or Queen of Sheba cake with chocolate-butter icing. Of course anything with a good and proper sauce would be appropriate. It's important to bear in mind that white wine for cooking should be strong and dry, but never sour or fruity. This can lead to a sour gut and be a real turn-off for the judges.

Hey 4-Her Mom, not trying to make anybody feel bad. Just couldn't hold back. The main thing is that your kid is having fun and learning something about responsibility. Bon appétit!

Craig-TX

Latest posts