Getting started?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

If any one can answer any of these questions i have i <br>would appreciate it. I am 19 yearsold and i would <br>eventually like to full time farm. Rght now i am <br>working three jobs in hopes of one day having enough <br>money to get my own farm. I have plans to buy 80 Acres <br>of prime pasture land when i turn 25. My questions are <br>these, What are some of the things i should do to get <br>prepared to run a beef operation? How many head would <br>i have to run to make an average of $20,000? Thats if i <br>buy my corn and mineral and do my own hay. What would <br>be a manageble time line for me to be able to <br>accomplish my goal of just working for myself? If <br>anyone has any suggestions at all pleae feel free to <br>tell or ask me anything. I need all the assistance i <br>can get from expierenced people. THANK EVERYONE FOR <br>YOUR HELP
<br>
<br><hr size=7 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Charles, your best bet is to find an older rancher in your area and volunteer to help him or maybe work part time for him. Tell him what you have told us and I am sure you could find one who would be glad to help you out. You can learn a lot from doing and watching. You may even be able to eventually buy his operation from him when he retires. It will be tough starting from scratch, but I won't say it is impossible. As far as your questions on cost and profit, it varies from region to region and year to year. Talk to ranchers in your area to get a better idea. Don't get discouraged if it seems like it will take years to accomplish your goals. Times are tough in the cattle business right now, and you may not get a lot of positive support. If you would like for me to go into $ specifics for my area, e-mail me and I would be glad to try and help.
<br>

[email protected]

Charles, I agree with Ed, except with one change, work for several ranchers if possible since no two do things the same way. Learn from all and then you can decide what's best for you. We bought our place in 93 and still learning, will be for decades to come. You'll find you will have many friendly people who will help you with almost any problem in this biz.....<br>
<br>

Latest posts