Getting Started

Help Support CattleToday:

Kaden

Reaction score
I have been running commercial cattle but I am wanting to start raising registered as well. I plan on using AI, I currently run Gelbvieh and Balancer Cattle so I plan to stick with them. What would be the best way to start and do you guys have any tips for the differences in raising commercial vs seed stock?

Successful seedstock breeders build reputation through time, perserverance, and building relationships/marketing.

Successful commercial cattleman make a living through perserverance and astute management of costs.

What seedstock market are you looking to enter/fill? What would your customer base want/need? Is there demand in your area for the genetics you have already or can turn in a generation or two of AI?

Successful seedstock breeders build reputation through time, perserverance, and building relationships/marketing.

Successful commercial cattleman make a living through perserverance and astute management of costs.

What seedstock market are you looking to enter/fill? What would your customer base want/need? Is there demand in your area for the genetics you have already or can turn in a generation or two of AI?
My customer base would be centered more around bulls. Females will sell well here but people want more commercial than register females which I plan on providing. I think my genetics can always improve. I feel like my best way to start is to buy a couple registered females and start a AI program.

Where are you located? (you can put that in your profile info)

Others with far more knowledge about selling seedstock will hopefully reply soon -- but I'd stress that you want to know if your customers are selling weaned calves, on the rail, etc. If you currently have 20 herd cows and you expect to get 10 bulls annually -- don't expect to sell all 10 bulls because they have papers (extend your math to whatever # of cows you have/pasture you can stock).

Having used AI for 10 years -- don't assume that it will always improve things -- you may be dissappointed.

Latest posts