Getting Started

Help Support CattleToday:

Sea-Cow

Reaction score
hi everyone
well i need to ask a question or two if you wouldn't mind. But, i have recently discovered i love cattle nd the idea of showing. I have cattle of my own but no pedegree or anything. How do you get into the buisness of cattle showing and breeding i want to get into herefords or angus not sure yet but i am only 15 so i am sorta planning ahead but any tips would be great.

luv Sea-Cow

You might think about showing a heifer of one of those breeds you like. And if you have the facility keep it as a cow when done showing. One purchase and you are showing and starting a herd.

Going to cattle shows in your area to watch the show and get to know people that have experience in the show ring and with raising show cattle is a great way to learn a lot.

thanks guys well with the showing side of things are there classes in which you have to enter and do you have to have pedegree cows or puebreds?

Hello, i've been showing for about 4yrs now and i got into showing cattle with my school. Also, in most states of australia a youth cattle handlers camp is run each year and is perfect for people who want to get into showing.

I'm not sure about america but in australia we have a class called "led steer." its where you show a steer and it doesnt matter if it is x-bred or pure. Be careful because some of the competitions with steers are hoof AND HOOK.

A steer is the best one to start one, heifers and bulls can be difficult but i find steers are generally the quietest and easy to handle.

i too am totally in luv! with cattle. i started with a hereford steer. he was really calm and luved to be pampered. all herefords are usually calm and steers dont seem to have the attitude either. so its prolly your best bet!

It doesnt really matter if you have a pure breeds cross or a calf with pedigrees if u are going to show at county and state level. What i would say just go and get a pretty nice calf and show it at county and with the money u get from selling the calf at the fair you can go and buy some cows that are club calf material and then ai them with club calf semen. If ur calf sells like people's around here (4000-6000) You could buy some nice cows and semen

Latest posts