Getting Started in the Stocker Business

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

This is an open question about starting in the stocker business. After doing some research I have discovered that it is more profitable for us to run winter stockers on irrigated wheat in the TX panhandle than to start with a commercial cow/calf operation. My dilema is that I do not know a lot about this business. My questons are:

1) What is the best way to get ahold of the "good" calves that have known ADG and histories?

2) What is a good rule of thumb for this area on head or lb/acre?

3) What is the best way to market them back?

4) Other than providing them water what else will they need?

5) Which beeds or crosses work best as stockers?

If it helps we have a large salebarn in Dalhart which is about ten miles from our place. I have not discussed this with them yet.

Part of what I am looking at is to get good calves with known genetic and performance histories so that I have the option of filling a feedlot pen with them if I want.

Thanks in advance for the answers

[email protected]

Scott, until you get some experience you might be better off taking in stockers on a gain basis. Someone else delivers their stockers to your wheat. On a certain date they pick them up and pay you per pound of gain. You don't have the risk involved in buying unknown calves. We have a neighbor who has been doing it for years. He really wants to get back into the cow/calf business, but he's making more money on some one else's stockers. Talk to your extension agent and farm services folks and see if they have any suggestions of someone to contact to get some calves. I occasionally see ads in our newspaper where someone is looking for wheat to graze out. And the sale barn might be able to put you in touch with someone who needs wheat pasture. Good luck...

> This is an open question about
> starting in the stocker business.
> After doing some research I have
> discovered that it is more
> profitable for us to run winter
> stockers on irrigated wheat in the
> TX panhandle than to start with a
> commercial cow/calf operation. My
> dilema is that I do not know a lot
> about this business. My questons
> are:

> 1) What is the best way to get