Getting started - breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

I think I understand. Once you get them hung in a meat locker nobody can tell a difference, but a buyer at auction thinks if he's gonna pay top dollar the hide ought to be a certain color?

Docked? As in they just don't bring as much at auction?

Caustic Burno":1yyjtwqu said:
SJB":1yyjtwqu said:
What is bad about it - something with the breed I assume?

I thought black calves with white faces were money makers?

Can't speak for Tn but a black baldie has brought a premium all my life
here in Texas through the barn.
The Brangus and the Braford have always been the market leader in farm girls.

Straight blacks do better here, then baldies, then char crosses.

SJB":pg8zozqn said:
that is exactly what I want. I'll save somebody the trouble of hauling to the sale, they will know their steers got handled the right way and ended up on a local family's plate. And I don't have to fool with the sale, and I know I'm not buying somebody's junk.

As to finishing, I want them to taste the best and be as drug free as practical. For me, grass fed has a great flavor, but doesn't have enough fat. I don't have any preconceived notions other than that and I'd love to hear opinions..

I'm not thrilled about working hay. I have a full time job, and the investment to work my own hay would be substantial. I guess I'll either let somebody cut whatever I can grow on shares, or buy from somebody selling a good product.

What kind of timeline are you looking at for getting started? If you wait to spring to buy some calves then I do not see why you would need any hay. Start pouring the grain to them about the first of August and they should be ready to slaughter when the grass runs out at the end of October.

Hot weather and fescue is bad enough with out pouring the grain to them. You can feed them and keep them growing at a good rate then when it cools off a bit up the feed.

Rafter S":20qs8szy said:
SJB":20qs8szy said:
What is bad about it - something with the breed I assume?

I thought black calves with white faces were money makers?

Different terms mean different things to different people. To me chrome refers to cattle that are roan or spotted, so Hereford markings wouldn't qualify.

And yes, in many (maybe most) parts of the country there is good demand for black white-faced cattle.

+1. IMO, chrome refers to cattle with both Shorthorn and Longhorn markings. Herefords and BWF cattle are discriminated against for extreme featherneck Hereford type markings. Blue roans and red roans get docked too. Also smoky Char crosses and/or rattails Rattails as much for their hair as the lack of tail :idea:

Son of Butch":2hgh4d8l said:
wacocowboy":2hgh4d8l said:
Get some Wagyu that is suppose to be the best.
Kobe beef which only comes from Wagyu cattle is the Gold Standard for flavor and tenderness.
http://www.kobebeefstore.com/kobe-beef-steak.html

Wagyu is an exotic breed and you would get killed selling in a traditional marketplace.
The cattle are slow growing, small, thin and frankly a bit of an embarrassment to look at in the front pasture.
BUT for carcass quality there are none better. Definitely a niche market item at $10 lb for hamburger and $50 steaks.
Beef you would be proud to serve to friends and family.
http://www.heartbrandbeef.com/Heartbran ... hop_ribeye
edited to add American Wagyu link: http://www.wagyu.org

I thought beef from Waygu was more expensive than that. I have always been curious to try it but never even seen any for sale before. Be my luck if I bought it I would burn it.

I think the true Japanese Kobe beef is about 3 times more, but the "American Kobe Style" beef is more reasonable and while I have never tasted the true stuff...the F1 'kobe style' cross is very, very good.
Dirty little secret, much of what restaurants pass off as kobe beef is really f1 wagyu cross beef.
Kind of like many restaurant crab dishes are often made with Alaskan pollack or other fish.

Son of Butch":2cxu0qvn said:
I think the true Japanese Kobe beef is about 3 times more, but the "American Kobe Style" beef is more reasonable and while I have never tasted the true stuff...the F1 'kobe style' cross is very, very good.
Dirty little secret, much of what restaurants pass off as kobe beef is really f1 wagyu cross beef.
Kind of like many restaurant crab dishes are often made with Alaskan pollack or other fish.

What are they crossing it with something like Brahma or Angus? I heard in Japan they massage the steers with beer don't know what that would do.

wacocowboy":1yj20kps said:
Son of Butch":1yj20kps said:

What are they crossing it with something like Brahma or Angus? I heard in Japan they massage the steers with beer don't know what that would do.
I think it turns their hair black. Black hair, not tenderness and marlbling is the REAL gold standard.

Some outfit in Europe crosses Wagyu with Holstein.
A. Increased carcass weights = more pounds to sell.
B. Holsteins develop their IMF marbling in the same manner [just a lot less of it] as Wagyus.
C. Availability: largest female population routinely bred A.I.

I've talked with 2 Wagyu breeders.
One thought Simmental x Wagyu would produce the most profitable F1s.
The other breeder thought Red Angus had the most potential as being the best cross.

greybeard":1h0iodm8 said:
wacocowboy":1h0iodm8 said:
Son of Butch":1h0iodm8 said:

I think it turns their hair black. Black hair, not tenderness and marlbling is the REAL gold standard.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :clap:

Now that is funny.

Latest posts